Help! Macbook pro crashing randomly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donuan, Apr 25, 2015.

1. donuan macrumors newbie

Yesterday my Macbook pro (mid 2012, running OSX 10.10 yosemite, 16gb of ram)
    crashed completely and in the screen I could only see glitch patterns (see picture)
    [​IMG]
    The computer would not start but frooze when the meter was in the middle (same spot every time).
    I tried to reinstall the os but the computer didnt let me.
    in the end I put in a new harddrive (ssd) and reinstalled from scratch so that I now am on MAC OS X 10.8.4 (mountain lion). I do not not experience the glitch screen anymore but instead the screen freezes seemingly at random and the only thing to do to get it responsive is to do a hard reset.
    at startup I sometimes get the message "your computer has restarted because of a problem" and sometimes no.
    this occurs like I said randomly and does not seem to be connected to computer performance. there is also no sign of the computer starting to work harder before this happens.

I have tried to do a mac hardware test where no problems showed up.
    I have tried to do a disc verification where no problems showed up.
    I have tried to reset the nvram.
    I have tried to do an smc reset.

Is there anything else I can do?
    I would be very very thankful for help.

Best,
    Hannes

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Looks like a GPU problem to me.

3. donuan thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, but the wierd thing is that nothing was detected in the hardware check.
    if it is, is there anyway of fixing it except for replacing the motherboard?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since on just about 99.9% of all laptops out in the last 10 years everything is soldered onto 1 board, no.

Not all hardware faults are detected by the basic diagnostic tools Apple provides.

5. TheMacNinja macrumors newbie

TheMacNinja

Many times an intermittently bad RAM module acts (randomly) similar to GPU issue. I would not be surprised if one of the RAM modules went...especially if it is OWC or a 'no-name' brand.

We would be interested in purchasing it if you are in the market to sell.

6. donuan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, Thanks for the advice.
    I will have it looked at by a technician after the weekend to see if a repair is worth it or if I will buy a new one.
    How much would you pay for it?
    could help to know that in the decision.
    Thanks!

----------

Ok, Thank you for the info!