Help... Macbook Pro dead and doesent boot beyond grey screen.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Flightline, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Flightline, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

Flightline macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I have looked but not found anything that helps...

I have a Macbook Pro2.26ghz 250hd and 4gb ram I believe, 2.5 years old. OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.

Everything working fine until 2 months ago when the keyboard decided to only work in capitals and numbers in the upper case mode.

Tried a new external keyboard and that solved the problem temporarilly.

Last week the computer froze following a software update from Apple.

Now the computer wont boot beyond grey screen with spinning wheel.

Have tried a multitude of pressing this key and that, inserting recovery disc etc but it does nothing but show the grey screen... and gets very hot.

Its not been dropped, flooded with water etc nor are there any other accessories plugged in.

Anyone know how I might be able to get the thing working?

Would a new HD fitment work then get a patch lead to download info, files pics etc from old drive?

I am not a computer wizz and need a little help knowing what can be done, if anything.

Any sensible offers welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

FL.

2. jefbond macrumors member

Most likely the logic board has gone bad. No way of fixing it if that's the case, other than getting the MLB replaced. I recommend making a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store. The appointments are free and they can run many diagnostics on it and tell you exactly what is not working along with a quote of the price to fix.