Help! MacBook Pro dead...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bdsmith63, Nov 17, 2014.

1. bdsmith63 macrumors member

bdsmith63

I've been a meticulous caregiver of my MacBook Pro 13" (mid-2010). Yesterday a whole cup of coffee spilt on top of the keyboard. It was quickly shut off and turned upside down and dried. Later in the day I removed the back panel and only wiped a small amount of moisture. Today it will not power on, the battery tests good. What options IF ANY do I have? Pretty much a dead deal hugh?....

I had just installed a new OWC SSD in it a month ago and it was like I had a new Mac!

Thanks for any input!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If you can't get it going yourself, it might be possible to take it to an Apple Store and request their "flat rate repair", which runs about $300.

If that doesn't pan out, you might consider taking the $300 and putting it towards something new (or newer). Apple's refurb models might be a good place to start.

If you go the "another computer" route, take the SSD out and put it into an enclosure or USB3/SATA dock...

... and in the future, revise your "coffee handing rules" around the laptop!

3. repentix macrumors regular

Or get a Thinkpad :D

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

A Stinkpad? But that runs that inferior OS.

5. bdsmith63 thread starter macrumors member

bdsmith63

Yeah I've got a USB enclosure, so no worries there. I didn't know Apple's flat rate is $300. I'd be more tempted to put that towards a new one, considering the recent upgrades to the MBP. Where could I sell the old MBP easily?

6. bdsmith63 thread starter macrumors member

bdsmith63

Can I use the migration assistant to copy certain apps and certain iCloud settings over to a new MBP after I've used it for a few days?

7. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

Slap it on eBay, for some reason people on eBay will buy anything

8. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Don't think Apple repairs accidental damage for $300. I know they do OW repairs for $300 since I've had two now but they weren't accidental.

9. bdsmith63 thread starter macrumors member

bdsmith63

Believe it or not, my MBP did come back alive, but it's a mess with making noises and a keyboard that is screwed up. Am I still taking chances on maybe replacing the keyboard with still other performance issues after being soaked up with coffee spillage? Better to sell it as is maybe?

10. repentix macrumors regular

not if you get 10.9 running on it like me ;)

11. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Maybe you got coffee in the fans, they might now be spinning properly, thus the noises. If that is the case, you CPU or GPU will overheat and your computer could die.

12. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Open the thing up and disassemble it then rub some alcohol over it to try and clean off any coffee or whatever you spilt on it! Just make sure you disconnect the battery first and let it sit for a good hour letting the parts dry. I don't know whether this will be ok, but try just washing the fans in some warm soapy water and dry them with a hairdryer, then leave for an hour. I have done this before and it makes them run like new.

NB when scrubbing the logic board and components be gentle!

Use a guide from iFixit if you wanna disassemble it, however those MBP are quite easy to disassemble..