Help. MacBook Pro display will not come on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techmonkey, Sep 13, 2008.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

My MBP was in sleep mode since this morning, and when I opened the screen about 4 hours later the display would not come on. I tried pressing some keys and move the trackpad, no luck. I then did a reboot by holding down the power button. I heard the Mac startup sound, and my keyboard liteup. Still no display. Not even the Apple logo on the back of the screen lights up.

Any ideas what may be causing this? My first though is a possible graphics card failure, but I read some other places that people have issues with the MBP not coming back out of sleep.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Try an external display.
    2. Reset PRAM or SMC or PMU
    3. Increase the brightness of the display just in case you turned it down.

3. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have tried an external display, no luck. How do I reset PRAM, SMC, and PMU? I have also played with the brightness buttons. I can hear keys being pressed and sounds when settings are changed.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like it's warranty time.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

congrats your GPU is fried, take it to the apple store

6. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, that looks like the issue. I'm starting to see more and more threads about this. Is Apple replacing the GPU with the same, defective GPUs from Nvidia?

7. bryng macrumors member

I took mine in last week for pretty much the same problem. Right down to being able to hear keypress noises. Fried GPU. New logic board. Mid 2007 MBP. :(

8. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

How long did they say it would take to get your MBP back? The nearest Apple Store to me is about an hour away. I called them today to see if they do repairs in-house, and she really didn't answer my question. Do most Apple Stores send the systems out to get repaired? If so, I might as well call Apple Care and ship it from my house.

9. bryng macrumors member

I'm expecting it back Monday or Tuesday. So about 4-5 working days. I use a reseller that does its own repairs with accredited staff (there are no Apple stores in NZ). So a couple of days of the wait is for the part to be ordered and airfreighted from Australia.