HELP! Macbook Pro Display wont work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cruukedeye, Feb 25, 2010.

1. cruukedeye macrumors newbie

So here's the deal, I have a 15inch Macbook Pro from Late 2007; well it worked just fine yesterday, but as of this morning the display will not work! It makes the Chime when ya power it up, but no screen display; you can adjust the volume buttons and hear that it is on and the volume can be adjusted. The screen brightener and dimmer does nothing, as well as the keys brightner and dimmer. The apple website said to reset the PRAM which I did and then if that didn't work to reset the SMC which I did and got no change in my problem.
    And now the part that boggles my mind is I have the cables to hook up the MBP to my tv so i figured I'd atleast be able see it on the TV if the display has crapped out but its doesnt transmit the image to there either. So anyone got any ideas? Is it possible I caught a virus that kills displaying abilitys? Please help!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your graphics chip has failed, it's a known and acknowledged problem with the nVidia 8600GT card in the MBP's from 2007 and up, apple will replace it if you're within 3 years of purchase, regardless of apple care status. Bring it in to apple.

Btw, most viruses extract info from your computer and send it to the author, or delete random files to render your OS impossible to use. Viruses are mostly a PC thing, apple doesn't have a big enough market share to be a target.

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

What graphics card do you have? There is a known fault with one of the NVidia graphics chips (8600M?? I can't remember). If you have that chip, it's blown. Don't worry though, Apple will replace it for free even if you are outside of warranty.

Do some googling on Apple or MRoogling here to find out. It's a very common problem. I think.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

The 2007 MBP's have the 8600gt, hopefully the OP is still within 3 years of purchase, else he is looking at buying a brand new logic board, which is very expensive(in the 800 dollar range IIRC).

5. cruukedeye thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks guys, I'll start off by going to the Apple Store and see what they say about replacing it; otherwise I'll have to find a cheaper way but mucho thanks for the assistance