[help] macbook pro doesn't play dolby digital

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vantheman5211, Aug 2, 2011.

1. vantheman5211 macrumors newbie

hey friends,
    i have a 2010 mbp base model running lion.i have recently purchased a tritton ax pro 5.1 surround sound headset and i intend to use it with my mbp for watching movies.
    i have bought the mini jack required to connect the optical output of my triton to the mbp and it connects nicely.but whenever i play a movie it still plays in stereo format.i have tried it in vlc as well as quicktime but i just cannot find a solution.
    i have changed the settings in output to digital output as it requires,but at the moment i am only getting stereo sound.please help me to get surround sound.cheers

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are you sure the movies you are watching have a 5.1 channel selected in the dvd setup menu? They could be running a 2 channel instead.

3. vantheman5211, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

vantheman5211 thread starter macrumors newbie

i am watching downloads mate,mostly mp4,mkv and avi files via quick time and vlc.and yeah the movies are 5.1 enabled.it plays 5.1 when i connect it to the ps3 but i just don't get surround sound when i play it in my mbp.