help macbook pro frozen!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Epstein, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Epstein macrumors member

so i was updaing software from apple, and computer froze so i did a hard restart and now it wont even get to the OS it just turns on with the grey screen, apple and circle underneath wont load the os or nothing. I tried apple/option/p+r but no go, anyone else run into this? what do i do

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Your OS install is fubar. You'll need to re-install OS X - no other way round it really. Sorry :(

3. Epstein thread starter macrumors member

i was just updating some firmware from apple new itunes etc

you mean to tell me the whole OS is toast??hmmmm I wasnt installing an OS just doing a mac software updatee

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well installing updates to iTunes is not installing "firmware" as there's a big difference. Did you have the Macbook plugged and set not to go to sleep while installing software? You never want the computer to turn off during a software install or even worse if you really were doing a firmware update.
    You can simply do an Archive and Install which should solve your issue. This does involve reinstalling the OS however it will maintain all your settings and installed software.

5. Epstein thread starter macrumors member

how do i do that

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

To perform an Archive and Install just pop in your Mac OS X install disc and double click "Install Mac OS X" and your mac will reboot to the install screen. From there proceed to install OS X. There will be an "Options" button, press this and you will see the option to "Erase and Install" or "Archive and Install".

Proceed to the next screen and press the "Customize" button and you will have options to uncheck print drivers you won't be using and those useless languages as they eat up a lot of hard disk space. After that continue with the install. Skip the function that checks the disk, it just takes too long. If you remove those language packs and print drivers and skip the disk check the whole process should take no more than 30 minutes.

7. Epstein thread starter macrumors member

problem is it wont load the os its just stuck at the apple grey screen and circle everytime i boot

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Stick in the install disk, and hold down C straight after switching the machine on...

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Oh okay, then pop in the Mac OS X disc and shut down your Mac by holding down the power button until it fully shuts down.
    Now press the power button and hold down on the "C" key and it should boot up to the install screen. You will see the Apple sitting there for longer than normal while it's booting to the install screen.

Let me know if that works.

10. Epstein thread starter macrumors member

k but where is the option for this when i bot by cd

11. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

**Important**

If you've not left the machine to do it's thing for at least 20 minutes, then DON'T DO ANYTHING.

Some of the machines I have done firmware updates on take 20 minutes or more to boot afterwards.

So leave it for a long time before you decide it's dead. We're all so impatient now that if it's not back up in 3 minutes, we pronounce our machines as dead and immediately rebuild.

Cheers.