Help: MacBook Pro issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JonnyEA, May 14, 2013.

1. JonnyEA macrumors newbie

Alright so to start things off i have a 13 inch macbook pro late 2011. So my macbook fell 1 foot off of my table then i caught it. It did not hit anything but after i put in back on the table i could not use my mouse not the touch pad and i couldn't hear anything so i shut it off. The vent kept going for like 2 min. after i shut it off but then it stopped. I soon turned my computer back on and everything was fine. But then i was changing the sound and if i pressed the button even remotely fast it would lag my whole computer up and i wouldn't be able to move my mouse or anything. That would only happen for about 1 min. So then when i am browsing the internet i see a blue circle which is on my mouse and it is like a loading screen that does not go away. Lastly i have 8GB of RAM and my computer rarely lags like this. Thank you in advance for the help.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Since it didn't strike anything hard, and you caught it, combined with the symptoms you described, I would say that it sounds like your hard drive did not like the trip very much. They typically don't like sudden jolts very much, such as what would happen if it took a tumble but was caught before hitting the floor or ground.

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I had the same situation with a Windows laptop a few years ago, twice actually. It was the hard drive both times. When they're spinning sudden movements can cause the needle thing that's reading the data to strike the platters I believe, scratching them and forever ruining the hard drive.

Did you have a backup?

4. JonnyEA thread starter macrumors newbie

John im not sure what you mean by backup because i dont have a backup hard drive. Also could i just buy a new hard drive then transfer the data from this hard drive to the new one?

----------

Also i forgot to add this but is there anyway i can fix this manually or just take it to the shop to get it fixed?

5. Laco, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013

Laco macrumors 6502

I think he means do you have your data backed up (e.g. with time machine). If you do not I would certainly do that RIGHT AWAY. You do not want your hard drive to crash and lose all your files.

IF the fall somehow damaged your hard drive there is no way that you can fix it at home.

6. MacRobert10, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013

MacRobert10 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't go out and replace a hard drive unless I knew the problem was the hard drive. Your problem sounds like it's a hard drive problem but it could be something else.

Today's logic boards aren't exactly "tough." The electrical traces on the logic board can crack easily yielding really erratic performance, and a lot of the internal cables aren't cables at all, but rather mylar strips with conductive copper traces etched onto them. Any time intermittent contact exists somewhere in the system it can cause the system to lock up erratically or behave oddly. For example, what happened to the cables connecting the logic board to the display, the wireless connections, and the camera, all of which are located in the lid of your laptop when you "caught" the unit as it fell. Were the jolts enough to cause problems with them?

Todays HDs are a lot tougher than they used to be. If impact wasn't actually made I'd be surprised if the disk was the source of the problem. I use a product called Scannerz with FSE to test my drives but they make a cheaper version of it called Scannerz Lite that can test your drive before going out and spending money on a problem that might not be a problem.

Personally, if I were you I'd take your unit into someone familiar with them that's willing to give you a free evaluation before spending money on anything, including Scannerz or Scannerz Lite. Granted, their excellent tools and it might very well be the HD, but common sense tells me making such an assumption may be unwarranted without adequate evaluation. For example, some time ago I had an old PowerBook 12" model and anytime I travelled the Airport card would dislodge slightly and manage to lock up the system during a boot...and that was just from vibration related to traveling. In that case the solution was always simple: reseat the Airport card, which back in those days was accessible. If vibrations from an airplane trip could cause an Airport card to unseat, what make you think that a sudden grab of a falling unit couldn't do likewise with yours?

Translation: get it checked out, dude!

7. JonnyEA thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright guys i think i know what to do. Im just going to back up with time machine they look for something like Scannerz. Thank you guys you helped me out a lot. :)