HELP...Macbook Pro knackered

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skully65, Nov 29, 2013.

1. skully65 macrumors newbie

Hi folks

My father in law has apparently knackered his hard drive. He took to an Apple approved repairer who also said the hard drive is Kaput (less than 2 years old), they have said that they know a company that may be able to fix it but no guarantee, cost £250. I'm hoping there may be other options to this and looking for the knowledge on here as to how we can get him back up and working quickly

Thanks everyone
    Steve

2. vadamo macrumors newbie

Did you sync the files to the cloud?(Apple's Cloud)

3. skully65 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Vadamo

Hi Thanks for replying.

He failed to backup to the cloud, he also has an external drive and despite me telling him to always back up has not done it so 2 years work he had on there down the toilet!!

If the Macbook pro hard drive is now knackered (according to the repairer who knows a company that might be able to fix it) is there any other way to get the MAC up and running?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Go to iFixit.com and swap the HDD with either another HDD, SSD or SSHD. You'll need to make a bootable recovery USB flash drive with his OS or Mavericks on it.

As for the data, no backup = no data sorry. While he's at it look into some form of backup solution like TM, CCC, iCloud, Dropbox, Skydrive, etc...

5. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Hey Skully,

Sorry for your/his loss. Data loss stinks.

Replacing the HD is easy enough for nearly any shop out there.

Data recovery of your old drive is another matter. Some bad techs will label a drive with errors as being bad and needing replacement. What leads him to believe it's dead? Truly bad drives will typically slowly die, making clicking noises, file errors occasionally, until finally it's so bad that you can't even boot to the OS. Instant death to drives happens, but is rare - except for drop damage.

6. trevm999 macrumors member

Wildcard has got it right. Often a tech's data recovery attempts is limited to taking the hard drive out, hooking it up to another computer and seeing if it mounts to transfer data. Sometimes it will not mount even when only a small portion of the drive has bad sectors. A data professional is the safest way to go, but if the data is not worth that much, and you wanted to try you own data recovery I would suggest making a Parted Magic disc and googling how to use gddrescue to clone the drive. I have found it to be very effective if the problem is just a couple parts of the drives with bad sectors. After the clone is done, if it does not mount, then I run disk utility and disk warrior. It depends on what part of the drive can't be read whether or not just cloning it will create a mountable drive.