HELP! Macbook Pro looses charge while plugged IN!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afrog2, Oct 24, 2011.

1. afrog2 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, here's my situation:

I'm a DJ, I usually work friday & saturday. Recently I've been playing music videos (display port to vga) and media is loaded from a POWERED external harddrive... I use software called VSL, created by Serato, it's very popular.

Anyways, every night before a gig I charge my mbp (july 2011) to 100% battery. At the club, first thing I do is connect the power to the mac and will play all night while plugged in. At the end of the night my batter is at 39%!!!! HOOOWWW!?!?!?

I checked the power adapter at the end of the night, it's red hot, as in DO NOT TOUCH it's so damn hot. I checked the power ratings for it, it's 85W the standard for mbp 2011 models. Here are my macs specs:

2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200

Sooo.... any idea?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It is possible for that laptop to draw more than 85W, and from the temperature of the adapter, it sounds like it is. VSL is likely the cause, although you could try connecting the MBP via a digital out like DVI or HDMI. VGA requires the GPU to convert the digital signal to analog before sending.

Additionally, install gfxCardStatus and force the integrated card on. See if you can run the software that way.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

the MBP can and will use more then 85W of power, so in short, when your pushing it for long periods at at time it will have to rely no both the battery and charger to supply enough power

4. afrog2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would apple make a laptop so powerful that the power adapter cannot keep up? Sounds like a flaw to me...

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

this has been discussed extensively on here. - I agree

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

This has been discussed to death in many threads, Apple notebooks have always done this and some PC notebooks do as well, it's just a fact of life.

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I agree. My 17" HP Envy has similar specs and a 120W power adapter.

8. kamalds macrumors regular

Since you use it with adapter, I suggest selling it and getting an Alienware M17x instead. It looks better too IMHO.

9. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

As others have said, it's pretty normal. Just make sure it's well charged before you start, and try to keep the screen brightness down as much as possible to save power.

10. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

This, and if possible turn off extras like Wifi and Bluetooth.