Help! MacBook pro not booting!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adildacoolset, Sep 28, 2012.

1. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

So i was using my MacBook pro 2010 17" 2.53 GHz i5, and the spinnig beachball came and I was forced to switch it off. Now when I try to switch it on, it's stuck on the white screen. No apple logo or spinning wheel, just stuck on the white screen, even though waiting for so many minutes. So I gave up. I tried using a recovery disk I made earlier, but it doesn't do anything when I press C. And when I try to do the key for lion EFI Internet recovery, it doesn't do anything when I press the key combination.

The problem is that, during the spell of the white screen, it's not reading any input. No key strokes, or even the trackpad click when I try to eject the CD. When I busted my hard drive before, it read them. So please help

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Sounds like a hardware issue, more than likely a HDD.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the HDD was bad, the laptop should still be able to boot from a restore DVD. Right?

4. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

That's my question. I had ab HDD issue before, and I could boot from a cd. Now here, it's detecting absolutely no input besides the power button

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Do you get the chime and the Apple when you turn it on?

6. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

Yup, there's a chime

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You mentioned that you've tried booting from a recovery disc that you made, but have you tried booting from the original discs that came with the laptop? I'd try running the AHT portion and if it works, maybe it can help nail down the problem.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

8. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

Holding the option key, or any other key fir that matter, doesnt have a response. And I have the personal recovery disc inserted but I'm unable to eject it, even after trying a force eject. There's simply no keyboard input

9. k6578 macrumors member

I had a similar problem earlier this week. The spinning beachball came on and everything was unresponsive and so I had to shut it down using the power button. I tried to restart it but it couldn't go past the white screen. I tried the bootup CD (it took forever to load holding down the C key) but I still couldn't restore or reformat the disk.

I went to Apple for a Genius to take a look. He said it was likely due to a failing hard drive and after plugging in my MBP to their system and running some tests, we concluded that it was indeed a hard drive failure. He recommended a place for me to get a new hard drive along with the model number and everything.

I installed the new drive, formatted it (zero-ing it) and then went back to the Apple store where they helped me install my operating system using their network cable since it was faster than using the CD. And then after installing my Snow Leopard it asked if I wanted to transfer everything from my backup. Everything (all the settings and files, etc) now is exactly the way it was prior to the hard drive failure. Thank goodness for Time Machine.

10. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

unfortunately for me, I didn't use time machine. And I had just lost a thousand words of school notes

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You don't have to use time machine(although it is probably the easiest option), but always, always, ALWAYS back up your data!

12. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

I've backed up my important stuff but these school notes were done just before it failed. Sme of t was on iCloud though

13. k6578 macrumors member

Try using Dropbox maybe. As long as you press the Save button on Microsoft Word or whatever file, Dropbox saves a copy online so that you can access the files from dropbox.com if you can't have access your computer. Works nicely for school notes and documents.

Time machine is also for documents but also System Preferences settings.

14. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Sounds familiar. I'd say memory or logic board.

If you have several memory chips, try if you can eliminate that (remove both, clean contacts, insert 1, test, if not successful, remove 1, test with 2)

Work from there.

Pekka

15. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok but currently, i don't have the small screwdriver to open my laptop so Ill give it to a technician who has it. Unfortunately, he has chicken pox :(

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm not sure where you're located, but I bought the screw driver and torx driver needed to take my MBP apart for about $10 at Home Depot.