HELP!!! MacBook Pro Optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pklopfen, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Pklopfen macrumors newbie

So I was halfway into supeing up my brand new MacBook pro by installing an SSD in the main bay, 16GB Ram, and putting old drive into the OptiBay when I hit a major problem.

I tried to unscrew these 2 screws and they are put in their tight as hell. I stripped both of them but was able to get the 1 circled in RED out. How can I get this out? and once done with that, how the hell do I get replacement screws?

I was looking at laptopscrews.com but am not sure of the exact size of these two screws. Any and all help would be most appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hey,

If you have a power drill (preferably a cordless drill-driver) available, you can use a 2mm drill bit to drill the head off. Just be careful about when to stop.

Believe it or not, I had the same issue with the same screw when I was installing my optibay. I didn't have a drill at that time, so I used a knife. I cut off the corner of the wifi card bracket.

Nevertheless, as for replacement screws, iFixit sells a complete set. It might be worth a buy. However, it's not cheap. If you don't want to shell out the money for a single screw, either lodge a thin metal rod in there or tape it up. It won't move much.

Regards
    Raptor