Help... (MacBook Pro or not?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dan.123, Jun 1, 2009.

  1. Dan.123 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #1
    Sorry to be so up front. :D

    I am desperate. To MacBook Pro 15" or not. :confused:

    WWDC is 7 days away. A possible announcement is 7-11 days away. :apple:

    Buy now or wait and maybe see marginal processor speed / GPU speed increases and or other changes?

    Worth it / your opinions?

    I have money in the bank...and am willing to spend it...

    p.s. sorry for spamming the forums with yet another thread. i'm a typically busy person :rolleyes:

    Dan.123
     
  2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #2
    Money in the bank can be spent as well next week as now. Wait, even for the probable minor upgrades, and if the upgrade really is minor, well then buy one of the current computers, as prices for the current crop will drop after next week.

    If you need it buy now; if you merely want it, waiting a week cannot hurt. You will be furious with yourself if anything major (unlikely though it probably will be) happens then, and you have already made a purchase. BTW, the 15" MBP is a great machine, I have one and it is easily the best computer I have ever owned.

    Cheers and good luck
     
  3. Dan.123 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #3
    Wow. :eek: Thank you Scepticalscribe. VERY VERY helpful. :)

    I guess I'm just one of those people who feel that unless responses to my queries are worded properly nothing is worth waiting for until I've seen the benefits for myself ;)

    Purely speculation of course, but do you reckon it is likely that a GPU upgrade is in order? as suggested in the forums...a variant of the GT130 in the iMacs I think is called the GT130m? Likely or not? :confused:

    Thanks for the knowledge, kinda makes the wait a little less intolerable. :D
     
  4. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

    01jamcon

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #4
    OP, buy now, enjoy now, then if something new comes up in the next 14 days, return it, get the new one. Hassle certainly, but it may satisfy that need to burn cash. :D
     
  5. Dan.123 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #5
    You make a good point but I fear that the hassle with getting the money back when bought through the education store would be too much for any merit.

    Anyone got anymore suggestions.
     
  6. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

    Airforcekid

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    Location:
    United States of America
    #6
    I would wait but then again it had an update not too long ago apple care would last a litttle longer!
     
  7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

    Duff-Man

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2002
    Location:
    Albuquerque, NM
    #7
    Duff-Man says...certainly - read through the countless other "should I buy now or wait until WWDC" threads - there's lots of opinions, mostly all the same in each thread...read one, you've read 'em all basically....oh yeah!
     
  8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    Location:
    Hants
    #8
    Buy it now and enjoy it, if apple do release something knew they do a 14 day exchange if newer hardware comes out. So if it does you are looked after and if not life carries on.
     
  9. Dan.123 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #9
    hmm. thats a plan. although, has anyone returned anything bought through the School section of the apple website okay? :confused:

    I'm tempted :p although I may as well wait...
     
  10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #10
    If you're a typically busy person, then wait for a week. If they update within a week or two, you've saved yourself a trip to the applestore or time spent on the phone with an apple CSR if you've bought one online returning it.
     
  11. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #11
    Buyer's guide shows that MBPs have been updated only once in June.

    You can wait a week, it's not so long time. Update won't be major 'cause no better parts exist yet (mobile Nehalems in Q3-Q4). Wait until WWDC is over and buy then, if update exists, you can get previous generation Macs with big discount.
     
  12. Dan.123 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #12
    Thanks Hellhammer. :D

    What about the GPU though? An update likely on that front? I've heard of a variant of the GT130 or 120 called the GT120/130m (something like that). possible/likely in a MacBook Pro? :confused:

    :apple:
     
  13. Nockm macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2009
    #13
    Just wait :)

    Half the time I forget why I'm waiting, and want to go out and buy it. Then I have to remind myself to wait... just in case they make a change to the GPU that could potentially make their MBPs run a little cooler... because that's my main worry - Heat!
     
  14. macgrl macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    #14
    I would wait. It is not long now and you will find out and then you can buy one then. That is what I would do :)
     
  15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #15
    My earlier advice stands; I'd suggest you wait it out as it is not long and waiting will stand to you if anything major is launched, whereas you will at least know that your planned purchase is not out of date if nothing much happens. The MBP is an excellent machine, and whichever model you eventually end up buying should last you several years. I would offer a futher suggestion; namely, that you add Applecare to the mix before your first year of purchase ends (and automatic warranty expires); that will give you cover for a further two years, well worth it for something like the MBP.

    However, I very much doubt that any upgrade will be major, most probably it will take the form of a minor tweak. In general, Apple issues major upgrades/new models in September and in January/February. Having said that, Apple loves to occasionally cause a shock/grab headlines/make waves with a new product, but early summer is not usually considered the right time, or appropriate market for such experimentation.

    Cheers and good luck
     
  16. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

    01jamcon

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #16
    Just wait, by the time you've ordered and had your laptop delivered from the Education store, the new one might nearly be out. So you miss out on 5 days worth of Mac-ness. You'll survive.
     

Share This Page