Help macbook pro problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adambuthead, Dec 4, 2011.

1. adambuthead macrumors newbie

HELP!!!! My friend is new to Mac and has brought a second hand macbook pro from ebay it came with lion pre installed but after having some problems with accepting a dongle he went to bed, the next morning he fired it up but was greeted with a no entry sign, now to re install lion he needs the sellers apple i.d which now he has the money he is not interested in providing. How can I uninstall lion for him? bear in mind i have no information on this macbook other than its got 500gb hd and 4gb ram and a 15" screen and it got the aluminium case. Im not a complete novice I myself have a iMac so I know my way around these machines but this requires a whole other level of APPLEMAN HELP!!!!:D P.S. IM SORRY IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG PLACE

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Have you tried resetting the PRAM?

With the computer off:
    1. Hold Command + Option + P + R
    2. Power on the comuter while continuing to hold that key combo
    3. Continue to hold that key combination until you hear the second startup chime.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Since it's second hand, I assume the macbook did not have Lion installed originally. The person who sold it on ebay probably bought and installed Lion later. I'm not sure if that license can be sold, since it's tied to the buyer, not to the macbook. I also would not give anyone my apple ID btw.

The macbook must have come with some way to reinstall the OS - are there any snow leopard or other OSX install discs? If not, the seller should provide some, unless he explicitly specified that it comes without original install media.

In addition, if the seller advertised the macbook as coming with Lion, he should provide a valid license.

I would bring the machine to an apple store, and have them fix the OS. They will probably install snow leopard, since they don't just give out free copies of Lion. The rest you have to sort out with the seller.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Surely the mac came with the original install discs? Reinstall from there and buy Lion, it's only $29 and will save you the hassle.

5. adambuthead thread starter macrumors newbie

i will try this when i get home from work thankyou

----------

Thankyou you make some good points he sent nothing with the computer and I also wouldn't give my apple id away but i also wouldn't sell something without the proper instal disks he will be getting contacted thank you for your reply

6. adambuthead thread starter macrumors newbie

this is where I'm at

ok so I can get to the mac osx utilities window my options are then 1 Restore from Time machine back up NOT AN OPTION AS IM SURE YOU UNDERSTAND
    2 Reinstall mac osx WHICH ULTIMATLEY REQUIRES GETTING ANOTHER COPY AS THE SELLER IS A DOUCHE AND NOT SUPPLIED ONE
    3 get help online BASICALLY TELLS YOU TO DELETE DRIVES ETC WHICH HAVE TRIED TO NO SUCCESS
    4 disk utility WHICH I HAVE TRIED BUT WONT ACCEPT ANYTHING I DO
    I HAVE ALSO TRIED PUTTING A COPY OF SNOW LEOPARD ON TO A MEMORY STICK ( AS THE DISK DRIVE SEEMS TO NOT WANT TO ACCEPT DISKS NOW ALTHOUGH IT DID BEFORE?) AND IT TELLS ME THAT IT NEEDS A COPY OF OSX 10.5 OR LATER TO INSTALL THIS DISK. IS THIS BECAUSE MY COPY IS PROBABLY SINGLE USE?

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Uhm, your shift key is broken.

OSX is usually very generous with licensing, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Bring it to an apple store, or send it back to the vendor.

8. ET3SW macrumors regular

This is because it is not the correct disk. You are trying to use a upgrade CPU Drop in DVD. Depending on which model this is you need either A) Retail copy of SL or 2) The install disks for this model MBP