Help, Macbook Pro Replacement!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdaco6, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Hello have a few questions about Macbook replacements. It all started when my macbook started crashing and freezing in the middle of operations and the battery began to drain of power very very quickly. I called apple customer services and they were unable to help at all even though it was in the one year warranty. I then began to read these forums and found out about the steve jobs email adress and so wrote a letter complaining about both apples customer service and products and sent it to the email adress and their european headquaters in ireland. 1 week later, last monday, i recieved a call from someone at Apple saying that they would replace my Macbook Pro and that all i had to do was ring DHL quote apples account number and send it back the person also said i could wait for my new one to arrive before sending my old one off if i wished. 2 days later i got a phone call asking if i had sent the Mac yet and i replyed it is being picked up today and i quoted the reference number, the person then went into details about if i would like glossy or matte screen etc and that was it! Today is now tuesday and still no sign of my replacement macbook pro so my question is how long does it normally take to send out replacement's and will the replacement be 'refurbished' or 'new'?

Hope you can help and thanks in advance

Macbook Pro original spec 2.2ghz 2gb ram 120mb Graphics (Matte)

2. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

3. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Last time I needed a part exchange (replacement battery), they overnighted it.

Since they are shipping you a new computer, I would wait a week. Did they give you a tracking number (either through Apple's website or DHL)? If not, call in and ask for one.

Your replacement will most likely be refurbished, simply because it is a previous-generation model. Realistically, you won't be able to tell the difference. It will still be nice and clean, with a fresh installation of Leopard on the hard drive.

4. KiDFuZioN macrumors newbie

If they are sending you a replacement you will get a current generation with like specs. When I got mine replaced it took almost 2 weeks before it was shipped out since they had to customize it, because my original one was customized. I had a first generation Core Duo and it was replaced with a Core 2 Duo with LED backlighting since that's what was available at the time.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Wait wait wait. They are going to replace your current MBP with a new one? When I got my iBook replaced over the summer, they told me to pack it and they sent me a FedEx Ground label through email. When the package is in FedEx's hands, they send your new one out Next Day Air. Thats how it should work. You should get a new Penryn MBP, it will be the base model because you bought a base MBP. You should get it really soon.

6. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, i will expecting a 'new' one then!!!! Thanks for your replys i am hopeing it will be with me tomorow so i will let you know what happens!

Thanks again, Jdaco6

7. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

Hello, just to give you an update my replacement macbook pro has still not arrived! What do u think is going on?

Thanks, Jdaco6

8. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Patience.... Use it....

9. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

10. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

no, they never gave me one and when i asked for one they said it was sent monday and should arrive tuesday then yesterday i got a call from apple asking if it had arrived as the system is telling them it has! I said it hadent and the person replyed they must have the wrong tracking number!

So annoying i just dont know what to believe!

11. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

I know its hard to relax when you have hardware out there, but you have to relax call customer service, ask for tracking information.

It will all be over soon.

12. chris y. macrumors regular

When I dealt with applecare for a replacement power adapter on my MBP, I was kept up to date with emails about what was being sent and exactly when it was sent. The DHL tracking number was also included in the email.

Did you not get any of this?

13. TSE macrumors 68030

It took Apple about a week to give me my replacement MBP, but I also had custom specs.

14. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to give you an update apple gave me a tracking number today (8071030607) but they did not tell me what company they are shipping with!!!!

Any help on how they usally ship would be apreciated! (I am in the UK)

15. adamsen87 macrumors member

I believe it's will be sent with TNT http://www.tnt.co.uk and then Tracking and choose "Customer Reference" and enter your number.

It states Petersfield as destination.

16. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah ok thanks, yep thats right! It says it was recieved in the Netherlands on the 9th so am i likely to recieve it tommorow the 11th? (Petersfield is near the south coast near the Isle Of Whight)

17. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to let you know IT ARRIVED TODAY and was BRAND NEW!!!

Thanks for all your help!

Just to let you guys know as well it seems that Apple has updated Boot Camp to enable 64-BIT Vista becuse before when i installed it on my old 2.2ghz model it came up with a whole load of driver errors but this time it was fine and everything works!!!!!

18. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I had a 1.83 refurbished model and they didn't have any refurbished ones in stock when they sent out my replacement so I got a brand new one. If you buy a brand new one originally at the time of purchase you will be upgraded to the current generation because it is the equivalent of what you had bought in the first place :)

That was for future buyers :p
    :apple:

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I need to get my machine checked...
    Not sure what they'll do but it's still in warranty, only 9 months old...
    If I take it to the store, do you think they'll replace it too? Will it be instore replacement or would i have to wait?

Problem?
    Recently, I'm getting a white line through the lower section of the TFT... occasionally it stays, other times it's perfect! Really strange...

20. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

If you are wanting a replacement, which it sounds like you are, i would give apple Customer Relations a call as they would be the best ones to deal with this problem!

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well... I don't wanna be without my machine for too long, i use it for my freelance work and currently, I have various projects that are still in 'work-in-progress' with a deadlines creeping up. Though, unlike your system, mine seems to be stable... Only the problem causes the display to flicker.. personally i'm not sure what's causing it, it only affects the built-in display.

:confused:

22. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like a screen problem! They are normally sorted out by replaceing the screen with a new one which i belive does not take that long or onvolve replacement of the laptop!!!

23. Jamesr1501 macrumors newbie

Hi. Can you please help me write a letter of complaint like you did.
    Please email me - Jamespringlephoto@hotmail.com.

24. m.cheo macrumors newbie

You email to who for replacement

Recently, i send my mac book for the first time to repair cause i notice some screw being loose. When i was at the service centre, i was shock to find out that the technician said i open the back panel before...As i am an broadcast editor, i know not to ever open the back panel. But the tech accuse me of opening the back panel. So they took it in for investigation. Comes collection day. To my utter shock, the tech told me apple void my warranty. and continue to explained that there are scotch tape in the part where the screws are loose....Like i said, i have never open the back panel before. I ask if the other screws are ok? and they told me that they are all fine. Just that 2 that are loose. Weird. If i had open the back panel, why would i put scotch tape inside. Anyway, i have been trying to find the contact of the US headquarter or any way of how u guys contact. From the forum, i see that you guys manage to email Mr steve job. CAn someone tell me how to send my complains to?
    I have already tried calling the customer relation in singapore. But they accuse me of opening the back panel. And told me that out of good will, they are willing to repair for me. OUT OF GOOD WILL? So i want to lodge a complain. From the looks of things you guys manage to get to the right source to lodge your complain. Can someone tell me how?
    Oh, ,my email address is cheoman75@hotmail.com