[HELP] MacBook Pro right for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brainless24, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Brainless24 macrumors member

I am looking for a new laptop and need help choosing. Here is what I look for in a laptop.
    No retina
    A lot of memory (music, pictures)
    Computer Graphics(Trying to be a professional)
    Web browsing
    Little video editing
    Little beat making (garage band type of thing, doesn't mean much, just for fun)
    Little gaming (not important that much)
    Fast speed
    Using for school projects (not that important)
    Also travel like MacBook Air, thin and such isn't important at all
    Also price limit is $1500.

If you need more information to tell me what I should get just ask!

2. troop231 macrumors 603

I know you said no retina, but you might as well, because you can get the computer you want for $1399 :) http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/macbook-pro

[​IMG]

3. Brainless24, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

Brainless24 thread starter macrumors member

I know I saw that, but that version only comes with 256 GB compared to the non-retina's 500 GB.

Any more suggestions will be appreciated.

4. troop231 macrumors 603

Right, but it also means you will get a very fast SSD instead of a slow 5400 rpm HDD.

5. Brainless24 thread starter macrumors member

I feel dumb but can you remind me what SSD means and what a rpm HDD means? Lol. :eek:

6. troop231 macrumors 603

Don't feel dumb. Sure, SSD means solid state drive, meaning that it has no moving parts and is based on flash memory. An 'rpm' HDD means a hard disk drive that physically spins at 5400 revolutions per minute (there are also 7200 rpm ones on the Apple BTO page), and has a floating head that reads data from the disk and is much slower than SSDs. Since SSD's use no moving parts, they aren't prone to the kind of damage an HDD would have (although modern HDD's have G force sensors, it isn't as good as having a drive that uses no moving parts).

:)

7. Darthmnkyrpm macrumors member

Alright so here are the specs for the non retina display.

2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

With this you can go to crucial.com and check for ram upgrades. You can either put 8gb or 16gb, I can't remember if the 13" can go that high.

And for the tasks you want to do, that should be fine, plus you get 1TB of hard drive space.
    The total of this is $1,449.00 or $1,698.00 with Apple Care. OR, you could go with the smaller processor, which wouldn't be as nice, but if the previous cost with Apple care is too high, it would cost $1,548.00

Edit: Also, what type of games are you planning on playing?

8. Brainless24 thread starter macrumors member

Minecraft or TF2, it isn't important though. I am more focused on Memory , fast and graphics.

9. leman macrumors 604

Given that you are not interested in latest technology and your demands are quite moderate (aside from storage), I think you should just get a used 2010 or later MacBook Pro (non-retina). Preferably a 15" model. A refurbished 2012 non-retina costs $1450 - its also the fastest non-retina machine you can possibly get. A 2010 or so MBP is cheaper - but its also slower than a current-gen MacBook Air for everyday tasks.

10. Brainless24 thread starter macrumors member

I would but I don't feel safe pruchasing a used one. I am definitly getting a NEW one.

And for SSD vs HHD I don't really want to have to purchase extra memory for my laptop. :D

If I get a MAC most likely going to get a MacBook Pro non-retina 13 inch 2.5 gzh. Any non-mad suggestions or reasons why Mac's are better? I don't know much about Macs yet.

11. Brainless24 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thinking about this, but how much memory would I lose if I get that retina one you posted? Because if it isn't that much of a difference I am considering this! :p

12. Darthmnkyrpm macrumors member

Alright, well with the specs I posted, you should have no trouble with those games as well. Does that look appealing to you?

13. leman macrumors 604

You are contradicting yourself. You say that you want a new one but you don't want latest tech? I don't get it. BTW, Apple refurb laptops may be used but they are sold directly by Apple and have full warranty, just as new ones. A refurb 15" from last year is only slightly more expensive than the current new 13" non-retina, yet it has over two times as much processing power'

Well, you have to decide between storage and speed. The current SSDs in the retina models are 5 times as fast as a conventional big hard drive.

I'd rather get a macbook air. Its faster, lighter and has higher screen resolution. But what a shame - it has an SSD :rolleyes:

Well, the model you are looking at is basically an overpriced laptop from last year, only still being sold for people on a tight budget. Sure, the build quality is better than a $750 windows laptop with essentially the same hardware, but I don't see why you would spend over $1000 if just few hundred more will get you a much better machine. Well, its your money.

14. Brainless24 thread starter macrumors member

I am torn between the non retina 13 inch and the retina 13 inch for like 1400, but see I don't want to have to purchase extra memory. And HHD and SSD, sure SSD is faster but HHD isn't slow and still very fast compared to what I am used to useing!

15. Brainless24 thread starter macrumors member

Just letting you know I watched a lot of reviews and am choosing the MacBook Pro 13 inch 2.5 ghz, thanks for the help for who replied! :D :apple: