HELP! Macbook Pro running at very slow speeds..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CallmeNuts, Dec 12, 2014.

1. CallmeNuts, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

CallmeNuts macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

Lately I've been having an issue with my Macbook Pro, early 2011. The specs are below. Looking for any help, would be greatly appreciated!!

500GB HDD
    2.7GHz
    i7
    4GB Ram
    Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

The problem persists with the speed. My Macbook has been receiving the message displaying that my disk space is full very frequently now. In 'Activity Monitor' it usually shows that ~100mb or less is free when I'm only running basic programs such as Chrome, Mail, iTunes, Calendar, Finder..etc I've also noticed it showing lots of inactive space too. This has been really frustrating and has slowed down my computer to a point where it's basically useless.

At points my browser would load a page, but it would just be a white screen yet the page was loaded I couldn't see or navigate at all through the webpage. Not sure if this is related but thought I'd add it in.

I may have downloaded a fake Adobe Flash player recently, which may have given me a virus called 'The Moon Worm'. I checked out a forum here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1435362?start=0&tstart=0

There were some steps such as resetting the router, reseting browser settings, deleting cache/history/downloads, as well I ran Sophos antivirus to remove any malware/viruses with no success.

I am currently running a CGN2 router supplied by Rogers:
    http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgn-2/

In 'About This Mac' I've noticed that under 'Storage' it shows I only have 1.52gb of free space. 465gb of it is coming from 'Other'. I remember only having about 50% of my HDD full in the past months and do not know what is taking up the 'Other' space.

If you would need any screenshots or additional information please let me know and I would be happy to post it.

I've had plenty of help on this forum in the past under a different username, can't remember the password. All of the help was much appreciative and thank you all for your input and suggestions! :)

2. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Step 1: Get rid of the virus using appropriate software
    Step 2: Backup Computer
    Step 3: Do a fresh install of MacOS

3. CallmeNuts thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already used Sophos antivirus to remove any malware / viruses which none were found; not typical virus as it gets stored onto router.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Don't run Lion. Upgrade to Yosemite (you should be at least on Mavericks for security reasons anyway).

And buy an SSD. The HDD is the slowest thing in your computer.

5. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

You have several problems that are unrelated to one another.

1) You need to determine why your hard drive is full. Any computer will slow to a crawl with a full HDD (your's is essentially full)! Use a right-click and "Get Info" for various folders in your user profile to determine where the storage is being taken up. You then need to free up a lot of space (like at least 50 GB) to give your Mac OS some room to operate.

2) You need to research how to reset you router to factor defaults. Then, you need to research how to update or re-flash the firmware on that router to be sure that it's clean and secured.