Help Macbook Pro screen/boot problem

SWAN808

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Hi All

Today suddenly the screen of my 2011 late MBP got lines accross - then the picture split in half...I thought it might be a small issue...I restarted and it seemed ok...then same thing happened again and boom - it would not boot properly - get broken up apple logo - then solid grey screen. Interestingly - the fan comes on almost immediately...I guess something is up with the graphics card...

It sits with only the grey screen and the fan going...not load up...any ideas?

I already tried the PRAM and SMC and safe mode and recovery disk...no dice...

jorgk

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
One more … Radeongate

Hi All

Today suddenly the screen of my 2011 late MBP got lines accross - ...I guess something is up with the graphics card...
Another one, keeps me anxious for mine. See here.

Since you may be interested, some lawyers seem to check if to step in: Link.

vonGTI

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
i had the same issue with my early 2011 15" mac book pro. however i noticed that occasionally it would boot up without issue. i also noticed that when i looked at "energy saver" my battery needed to be replaced. i did the following
1: in "energy saver" i unchecked "automatic graphics switching" after rebooting the problem went away.
2: i then installed a new battery and re-checked "automatic graphics switching"

the problem has not resurfaced on over two weeks. when i had the machine used a can of compressed air to blow everything clean.

SWAN808

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Another one, keeps me anxious for mine. See here.

Since you may be interested, some lawyers seem to check if to step in: Link.
thanks for the pointer. I found out I can have it reballed and that might sort it...rather than a full logic board replacement...

SWAN808

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
ok according to the technicians who have it - a reball did not fix it - and a new GPU didnt fix it...oh dear...not sure what to do now...they will give it until friday to see if they can help - otherwise its coming back...

In which case - return to apple is only option?