Help Macbook Pro screen/boot problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SWAN808, Aug 31, 2014.

1. SWAN808 macrumors member

Hi All

Today suddenly the screen of my 2011 late MBP got lines accross - then the picture split in half...I thought it might be a small issue...I restarted and it seemed ok...then same thing happened again and boom - it would not boot properly - get broken up apple logo - then solid grey screen. Interestingly - the fan comes on almost immediately...I guess something is up with the graphics card...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It sits with only the grey screen and the fan going...not load up...any ideas?

I already tried the PRAM and SMC and safe mode and recovery disk...no dice...

2. jorgk macrumors member

jorgk

One more … Radeongate

Another one, keeps me anxious for mine. See here.

Since you may be interested, some lawyers seem to check if to step in: Link.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Your GPU failed. A new logic board will fix it, but the issue will probably happen again eventually.

4. vonGTI macrumors newbie

i had the same issue with my early 2011 15" mac book pro. however i noticed that occasionally it would boot up without issue. i also noticed that when i looked at "energy saver" my battery needed to be replaced. i did the following
    1: in "energy saver" i unchecked "automatic graphics switching" after rebooting the problem went away.
    2: i then installed a new battery and re-checked "automatic graphics switching"

the problem has not resurfaced on over two weeks. when i had the machine used a can of compressed air to blow everything clean.

5. SWAN808 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the pointer. I found out I can have it reballed and that might sort it...rather than a full logic board replacement...

6. SWAN808 thread starter macrumors member

ok according to the technicians who have it - a reball did not fix it - and a new GPU didnt fix it...oh dear...not sure what to do now...they will give it until friday to see if they can help - otherwise its coming back...

In which case - return to apple is only option?