Help! MacBook Pro sees ghosts!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SAdProZ, May 20, 2009.

1. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Help! My girlfriend's Macbook Pro was reading a DVD when the laptop crashed. She couldn't reboot into Leopard and the DVD was stuck. She took it to the Apple store and they removed the DVD. Now it boots into Leopard but keeps making eject sounds. If I open Disk Utility it lists a DVD as mounted when there is nothing there.

How do I get the MacBook Pro from realizing there is no DVD mounted?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Have you tried putting in a disc and ejecting it?

3. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Yeah, did SMS Reset last night and it got rid of the eject sounds (laptop was trying to eject a ghost disc) but it did not solve the issue of it thinking there was a disc inside.

So because my girlfriend is flying internationally in 2 days and needs a working laptop with no risk of failure, she bought a new 17" MacBook Pro :apple: and now I'm a jealous boyfriend ;). Anyway, I reinstalled Mac OS X Leopard on this problem laptop and now the laptop is like new with no ghost DVDs and it receives and ejects CD/DVDs like new.

Thanks for your help.

Is there any benefit to reseting PRAM now that I've done a clean reinstall of Mac OS X?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

no. PRAM and SMC are reset when you reinstall the OS anyway. its good to do from time to time but definitely not after a fresh install of the OS.