Help Macbook Pro Stolen by former friend

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mackid44, Oct 13, 2010.

1. mackid44 macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro was stolen about 2 weeks ago by a former friend/employee of mines. I went to authorities and they told me unless I know they got it they cant do anything about it bc I didnt actually watch them steal it. Also the other day my former employee puts my data accross the internet from my Macbook Pro and is currently holding it ransom. Nevertheless this employee bragged on FB about stealing my Macbook Pro. I want my computer back but its like the authorities are no help at all. Is there anything I can do ? I have my reciept of my Macbook Pro to prove ownership. Please help.

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Show the police the facebook posting. That seems like evidence enough that they have got it.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you tried speaking to the 'friend'?

Have you reported it stolen to the Police?

4. herriiee macrumors newbie

Lol, could be that TS stole the receipt and facebook password...

just saying that things arent always as they seem, the police also keeps that in mind.

5. gorjan macrumors 6502

Is this for real? Are you 14 years old? If you know who took it and they're a "former friend" of yours, go get it?:rolleyes:

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Of course the police is no help, they don't have to help you, they are not in the helping-people-business, they are in the collect-money-for-the-state-business.

I'm sure you have some contact information of this guy. Contact him. Or visit him - and be sure to bring another (maybe better) friend to this meeting.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

did you file a report that it was stolen, not just asking the police to go over to the "friends" house.

Also with the police report show all evidence that this friend has the laptop, this will give them probable cause for a search warrant and recover the laptop.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Sorry OP but I agree.

When we read this post, 6 adults with kids, all of us immediately thought the OP might have been the person that stole it. The grammar don't coincide with an adult running a business.
    sorry for doubting the post

9. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i wouldnt be shocked if he stole the mbp and was wondering if hes completely safe.

10. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Indeed. :|

11. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Not to mention his name is "MacKid44"

12. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

So now, for the true victim of the crime...all he/she needs is to follow the OP's IP address from MacRumors recent posts...collect the FaceBook BS he/she's already posted...and stop by the cop shop! Good to Go, and possibly (Most States), a jail term and felony mark on the record. Over $500 in many states constitutes Grand Theft.

You guys/gals are excellent sleuths:)

If truly the case for the OP...you should return it ASAP! Theft is truly one of the more despicable crimes in our society. Liars, cheaters, and thieves...there is a special place for them, for sure!

J

PS...this hits close to home. I've had (My wife, actually) a laptop stolen. Fortunately, it was a Windows machine;)

13. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Kidnap his wife/gf/daughter/mother and hold her ransom.

Sounds like the only logical way to me.

14. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

Something is not quite right about the OP post.

15. mefck macrumors member

If the OP is not lying:

16. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i agree.

and who cares if this is real or not, this post is probably going to be closed soon anyway