Help! Macbook pro won't turn on or charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matbookpro, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Matbookpro macrumors member

I had a game running and some downloads and a few other things open, so quite alot on my new mbp 15" i7. I got it friday. I left it for about twenty minutes, and when I came back it had shutdown, and wouldn't turn on. It had been on downloading all night and was plugged in. Now when I plug it in nothing happens, and the battery button gives me one blinkng light, and it won't turn on. Please help me. Btw, I had changed my Hdd the day I got it, but that was working fine.

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

have you tried a SMC reset?

i would try another adapter, if you dont have one take it to a apple store and see if they can test it.

3. Matbookpro thread starter macrumors member

I have tried, but is it possible to do an smc reset with no power?

4. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Definitely sounds like your power adapter died. 1 rapidly blinking light means the battery is too low to turn on.

From this:

Obviously you can skip step 1.

Also, does the LED on the MagSafe power adapter turn on? Green or Amber?

5. amandapanda801 macrumors member

amandapanda801

6. Matbookpro thread starter macrumors member

No, the led doesn't turn on, but I though that might just mean it isn't making a connection with the MBP. I really hope it's just the charger.

7. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Sounds like the charger.

Also, just make sure the outlet you're using is good. I've had a few scares before with using bad outlets.

Actually, just this morning, we had a power strip at work go out. It fried one PSU due to low voltage, but everything else was working. Replaced the PSU, then the two computers and 4 monitors went out all at the same time.

Opened up the power strip to find a burnt solder joint.

The power strip still lit up just fine.

But yea, check the simple stuff first. Plug a lamp or something else into the outlet to check if it works. Also try using the 2 prong adapter if you're using the 3 prong extension, or vice-versa.

The computer isn't getting power for some reason, and you just drained the battery.

8. Matbookpro thread starter macrumors member

Apple should actually add a light to the main part of the adapter, so you can see if the adapter is getting power and you know if it's your adapter or mac, I know my other notebook's charger has that. Because now I have to buy a new adapter without knowing if it will work:rolleyes:.

9. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

I just saw a similar issue last week. Turned out to be the AC Adapter.

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

If there is no light on the magsafe, it usually means that your charger is dead. since the led is not lit, it gives the impression that there is either something wrong with your magsafe or DC-in board. If you have never replaced your magsafe, it is most likely the magsafe. I have had my adapter replaced 3 times over the life of my previous MacBook (specs in sig) due to the issue, where the magnetic end of the charger will heat up and randomly stop charging it.

If there was one of these lights, it wouldn't matter, because you probably put stress on the cable, causing a short in the cable. When you put a short in in the cable, the "box" of the charger will still function, but it will not be outputting any power. Try going to apple and have them replace it, if you are still under warranty.

11. terryholdershaw macrumors newbie

Similar Problem

I have a similar problem. I have an older Black Macbook and a Macbook Pro. Yesterday the black Macbook wouldn't start up, it was plugged in but the maglight was off so it wasn't getting power. I tried the same power adaptor on my other mbp and it worked fine. I swapped my second power adaptor to the problem mb and still no power or start up. Any idea what the problem would be?