Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isaaks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
So i have had my macbook air for about 2 years now. but now the trackpad will spontaneously act as if it is clicking and make is severely difficult to do anything on my macbook because as i drag the cursor over a link or anything it will open it and highlight all text and delete everything (big thanks to the inventor of command Z) It will also take twice the time to move the cursor anywhere

Is there anyway to get a new track pad or is this a software issue?

Ps. I clean my macbook air often, the trackpad is not dirty

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
This is just a guess because I've had it happen before and not thought about it.

Do you happen to have a bluetooth or otherwise wireless mouse? I've noticed that if my magic mouse gets jammed up on something when connected to my macbook the computer will think that it's clicking and make the trackpad act up.

Obviously this is a simple enough answer but worth checking.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
It could be the battery aging. Sometimes older batteries expand slightly, which presses against the trackpad, activating the switches.

It usually takes some disassembly and maybe a replacement battery to determine if this is the cause.

Isaaks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Update

I think i have found a reason why this is happening. though i don't know what it means or how to fix it. So i noticed that every time that i click the trackpad on my macbook (actually using pressure to click, not tap) then the trackpad starts to click randomly. so now i just never use pressure to click anymore, I just tap.

So i am assuming that this is an issue with the click sensor. It might be broken due to too much useage. Or maybe i just press down too hard.

Whatever the case may be I am now using a mouse more often than i do my built in trackpad. I am looking into buying the Magic Trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.