Help, macbook unibody won't turn on!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gt3920, Dec 5, 2010.

1. gt3920 macrumors newbie

My computer doesn't turn on. It has a dim green light on the magsafe. The fan turns on at a high speed but it doesn't turn the computer on. I changed the heatsink and still didn't turn on. I swapped logic boards with my roommate and it still didn't turn on. But when I swapped logic boards, the fan didn't turn on. What else could it be !?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Important point: if you put a known-good logic board in but the fan no longer spins, you did something wrong.

Fans spinning means you're getting power and your power button works. No chime means it didn't pass POST. Does the LED on the front blink? Do you get an error tone if you boot it without RAM?

It's probably the logic board, but you might be able to bring it back by using the technical method referred to as "quiet time." No power, no battery, let it sit for a few hours and then try again.

The heatsink won't cause the issues you're seeing.

3. gt3920 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont see any LEDs on. The fan turns on with a charged battery and without me pressing the power button or putting the charger on. It does it automatically. But when I put the good logic board on, there was no response at all.

4. skibum0051 macrumors newbie

Turn Computer On

I am no geek but I have the issue of the power button not starting the computer up. I was told to reset the EEPROM but can find no key strokes that will do it...help if you can. Anyway My MacBook would not start so I unplugged my power, took out the battery... held the power button on for 5 seconds....put battery back in plug it in and hit the power button.... MacBook running again.. I've had to do this twice....and hope it continues to work unti someone can tell me what to do to fix this... Will EEPROM reset help....how do I do it?

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

Was it PC person who told you to reset the EEPROM? What you did is reset the SMC, which is very appropriate. You could reset the PRAM, but that's completely unrelated to power issues. No one who knows Macs will tell you to reset the EEPROM; that has no clear meaning.