Help, Macbook wifi connection problems unresolved

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 01jamcon, Oct 27, 2008.

1. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Hi guys, appreciate any help you could give me with my Macbook.

I bought the laptop in August 2006, making it a revision A or B, its running leopard with all updates installed. It's mostly worked fine until about a month ago when all of a sudden, I had poor wifi connectivity; sitting less than 5 metres away in almost direct line of sight to a BT homehub router, I would get maybe 2-3 bars in the airport status thing, sometimes dropping out altogether. If I take the laptop downstairs, maybe 20-25 metres or so, the signals completely lost. This is completely baffling as I've previously been able to get a full signal from the same position in my house and further. I was able to pick up neighbour's routers from across the road, now I'm lucky to pick up my own.

Now the real killer, I had the Macbook repaired at the store after trying all the things suggested by applecare 'support'; change channels, change to wpa security, network settings etc. Nothing worked, and now even after a logic board replacement, I still have poor connectivity everywhere apart from virtually sitting next to the damn router. Is there any advice that you guys can suggest that hasn't already been suggested? (Btw, this is an issue with the macbook because both a pc and my iphone can easily pick up the wifi in places much further than the macbook).

Should I take it back to the store to get them to re-check it? (Quite a pain in the a**) or the apple phone guy said that maybe re-installing the operating system MIGHT solve it, also a pain in the a**

2. trylleklovn macrumors newbie

Im experiencing the excact same problem with the same model of MacBook, from the same period of time.

At first i thought it was related to a recent replacement ive had of the top and bottomcase, but now im not so sure, since ive found several threads saying that this is related to the 10.5.3 update, which apparently broke wifi on some machines.

Apple wont repair the machine since the warranty has expired :/

Im too lazy to try a reinstall of leopard without upgrading to 10.5.3 at the moment though, but it might solve your problem.