help - macbook won't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by twoodcc, Jul 28, 2008.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so my girlfriend's macbook (1st gen - 1.83 ghz CD) will not boot. when you turn it on, you get the apple logo and the sound, and then a kernel panic! (You must hold the power button and restart your computer)

and it does the same thing booting from the leopard cd. so any idea what this could be?

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Could it be bad RAM? I'd try removing any extra modules to see if anything changes. If that doesn't work you may want to use target disk mode and see if there's a panic log on your gf's Mac.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks. i guess it is possible about the RAM, though she's been using this ram for awhile.

I just turned it on, with the cd in there, and help down command+P+R, and now it's sitting at the apple logo with the little circle thing

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well if a good 'ol PRAM ZAP does the trick, all the better! ;) If it's anything like my Tibook give it 5minutes or so at the logo screen. After my BIOS battery died it took that long for the boot process to sort out things.

It's bizarre that some random change in the PRAM would mess up the boot process, did your gf's Mac have a power failure during a recent shut-down or startup?

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, i don't know of any power failures, but it doesn't mean that there were none.

well, it's still sitting at the apple logo with the spinning circle. i think it's been over 5 minutes though. i'll wait a little longer i guess, but i don't think it's going to work

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Even if it didn't boot off that first PRAM zap, and waiting for a bit, give it another boot before trying anything else. Sometimes (usually after updates) my Mac spins for a long time on the initial startup screen, and if I'm too impatient to wait I turn it off and boot it up again... usually that works.

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, now i don't get the kernel panic, but it just sits at the apple logo with spinning circle now

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, here's a pic of what happens when i boot and hold down "C" :

[​IMG]

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

<looks at KP above> :eek:

Ok, this is new to me it doesn't give you a process to check (probably because the panic is from quite early on), have you pulled the RAM and given it a try? I don't know if that would help, but it still could.

10. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i've never seen a KP like that either.

i haven't pulled the ram yet. it has 2GB of 3rd party ram in it now, and the apple ram is at my parent's house right now.

11. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i am able to get into single user mode. but i don't know what to do once i'm in

12. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Before going and removing RAM, have you tried running FSCK? If there's a disk error it might help diagnose and fix the problem. Also you don't need the original Apple RAM yet, just pull one RAM stick out and see if it runs. If it still doesn't run swap out the one stick for the other. I still have no idea if it will work or not though... Damn that computer is being stubborn!

14. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have not tried FSCK yet. in fact, i've never done that. could you point me in the right direction?

thanks

15. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i tried safe boot, with no luck. it did more weird stuff

16. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

17. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with the thread, I've been all over the place today but I'm glad to see you got fsck working. If I read that last pic correctly it was repairing the disk, but then fsck caused a KP? Damn that's weird. Sorry I'm not sure what to do.

19. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes, you read it correctly (sorry for the bad pic). i ran fsck again, and it said that the disk was OK. so i restarted, and bam! KP again. i don't think i can do much else to this machine, besides put back in it the apple ram and take it to the apple store

20. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i would like to say that i have solved this issue! it was the 3rd party RAM that i installed (OWC) that was the problem.

thanks for the help

21. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Good to know! When I saw this thread pop up again I was hoping you had fixed it! :)

22. pangsta macrumors newbie

i'm sorry to be a bother but i'm a n00b at all of this but the same problem happened to my mac, and i was wondering if you could explain how you fixed it?!