HELP! Macbook won't start!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hiphopopotamus, Dec 8, 2007.

1. hiphopopotamus macrumors newbie

My macbook was sleeping until it ran out of juice. I think it was empty for about a day until I plugged it in. Now it won't start for some reason. I hear the optical drive start but it just turns off in just a second. Can someone help me out? I tried unplugging it and taking the battery out and pressing the power button for 5 seconds. I tried pressing various button combinations but the computer doesn't stay on long enough for anything to work. I've been using my desktop solely for the past few days because I only use my laptop at school. But I haven't been taking it lately because I didn't want to be distracted by the internet. This teaches me for being studious.

2. eman macrumors 6502a

More info would help. Does the battery have full charge, all five lights are lite? When you have the magsafe adapter plugged in, are you getting a green or yellow light?

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

keep the macbook plugged in for about an hour and try starting it.

sorry about your computer, I think this happened with my mom's Powerbook a couple times, and the remedy was just to let it charge a while before starting it up.

4. hiphopopotamus thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery has no lights though I've charged it completely(the orange light turned green at least). When the mag safe adapter is plugged in, the light is green. Any advice would help. Thanks!

5. hiphopopotamus thread starter macrumors newbie

I left it plugged in for about a full day so I'm really puzzled. This has never happened before.

6. eman macrumors 6502a

The battery may be bad. Try this: Pull the battery completely out and hookup the magsafe and try to start the computer with just the magsafe attached.

No lights mean the battery is not charged (obviously). It should be charging.

7. hiphopopotamus thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that too and nothing different happened. I know the battery still has about 3 hours of life left in it. And I left it charging for a whole day. I'm just wondering if leaving it drained could somehow have messed something up. :(

8. eman macrumors 6502a

9. hiphopopotamus thread starter macrumors newbie

No. :(

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

11. hiphopopotamus thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd like to avoid paying if I can.

And the closest Apple Store is over 3 hours away. :(

12. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

What 5 lights are you referring to? New Macbook user here, and am confused about any lights.

13. hiphopopotamus thread starter macrumors newbie

There are 5 lights on the battery to show how full it is.

My battery got about 2-3 hours of life just last week. But now it's showing no lights on the battery. It's plugged in, and I tried starting without the battery, so I don't think it's the battery. This is so frustrating!

14. eman macrumors 6502a

Can you charge your battery in another macbook or borrow a charged battery and see if that will boot your macbook.

You may have a bad logic board. Not sure.

15. hiphopopotamus thread starter macrumors newbie

I have access to another macbook, so I've tried both. Looks like this might go to ebay as-is. I would just hate to sell it when I suspect the problem might be easily fixed. I especially hate it because it would definitely have been covered by Applecare if I had any.

16. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

wheres the nearest apple store?

17. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

It could be a loose RAM module or a faulty HD.
    Did you check the RAM to ensure that it is properly seated?
    Have you tried starting it from the optical drive or in target mode?
    You might also try removing the HD and starting it from the optical drive, since this is the only way mine would start when its stock HD failed.

18. eman macrumors 6502a

If you decide to sell the macbook, send me an email.

19. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Before selling it, get a price estimate on what it would take to fix it. Otherwise, plenty of people (on these boards, and on eBay) will be happy to take advantage of you and buy it cheap, only to fix it for <$100 or so.

20. eman macrumors 6502a

I agree, get an estimate. We don't want anybody to take advantage of you and fix it for <$100 or so.
    If its the logic board, you won't fix it for <$100 or so.

21. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

22. dragantod macrumors newbie

a strange solution but a solution

I know it's very late answering this, but this thread is on Google and so someone else may benefit. I also know this will sound like woodoo (if that's the spelling), but the answer is simple. Unplug everything and leave it for about 5 min. Keep the battery inside. Then plug it back into ANOTHER socket.

23. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

hold the power button and manually shut down, then wait a few seconds and start it back up. this happened to be before and this is how i solved it.