help macbook wont turn on stuck on white screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by armenakadino, Jul 7, 2009.

1. armenakadino macrumors member

I have a unibody macbook and today it was working fine, then tonight i opened it up it was frozen so after a minute of trying to get it to work with no sucess I held the power button until it turned off. when I tried turning on again the screen stayed white and would not turn on. So i turned it off and held option and the scary part is the osx partition is gone but my window partition is still there Im posting this from the window partition. How could it just randomly dissappear I didnt even use the windows part for the past month.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

does time machine count as a back up I need my computer I have word on my osx partition and I have essay to write

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes, happily it does. How recent is your latest Time Machine backup? It updates hourly as long as the backup drive is connected. Is there anything you've done since that you don't want to lose?

(Speaking of which, mine is getting a bit old. Just turned my drive on.)

5. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

I dont think so my latest was about a day or so

6. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

if this makes a difference when I press option now It shows macintosh hd but it freezes when I click on it

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Can you boot from your restore disks/retail copy of leopard? (Hold C with the disc inserted on startup, or hold "Option" and select the DVD on the partition selection screen.)

8. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

I put the cd and held option and it showed the cd the osx partition and windows partition when I click either osx partition or the cd it freezes

9. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

I just scheduled a appointment with apple today so I will see what they say

10. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

apple said the hard drive is dead but the weird part is I am able to boot into windows partition but anything that has to do with osx it automatically freezes

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How long did you wait for the system to boot from the DVD, and you were using the Restore discs, right? (Not a retail copy of Leopard- the gray discs that came with your mac.)

12. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

I used restore disc and at apple they had a lacie hd with the os on it the comp wouldent pick up either but whats weird is everything bootcamp windows is working perfect.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Very strange indeed. Since you took it in, did the Genius(es) at the Apple Store set up a repair for you or something?

14. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

He said the hard drive was bad and ordered me a new one but what bothers me is giving my old hd with all my personal info to them Is there any way to wipe my info off it

It would be so weird knowing that someone at apple wherever they send it to can be looking at all the family pictures and videos etc

15. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

Can someone tell me why when I put my hd in a enclose today and hooked it up to my other computer it only shows the windows partition even after formatting the mac side does not show. Is it possible for only half the hard drive to die

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's possible for the OS X partition to be corrupted, yes.

17. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

how can i fix a corrupted partition when its corrupted does it mean its dead

18. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes, simply speaking, a corrupted partition is a dead partition. However, it doesn't necessarily indicate any failure on the part of the hard drive. You can simply format the drive and it should work again.

Of course, that assumes you have a current backup to restore from.

19. sawmaster macrumors regular

They wouldn't steel your info. In fact, I think they'll probably wipe it or something.

I just want to point out one thing: Where's your punctuation? Your sentences are complex to read.