HELP! MacbookPro 2018 13" Bootcamp Gaming

nathza009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2018
Hello,

I have MacBook Pro 2018 13" 16GB ram. Majority of my works are on MacOS but I want to game a little.
So I Installed Win10 Bootcamp and Overwatch, I adjusted all of my graphic settings to LOW (Rendering scale 50%, all low, reduce buffering ON).

While I'm playing, my screen went black, the game closed and reported this error "Your rendering device has been lost". I tried many solutions and none of them works (update/downgrade graphic driver, reinstall it, system maintenance, even reinstall bootcamp).

I do not know what to do. I was told that maybe it is because throttling issues on bootcamp But I saw many people run Overwatch with this machine and it fine!

Can anyone help me with this issue ?
Thanks

EDIT : I cranked up my fans to 6000 RPM in MacOS and restart into bootcamp before playing.
Before crashing, I was able to play with LOW settings, 50% rendering scale, 60FPS (30FPD with 100% but I prefer 60FPS). The crash happened randomly, sometime I was be able to play 3-4 quick game and sometime not even 3 minutes.

Last edited:

buran-energia

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2017
Where did you see people with 2018 13 run overwatch and it being fine? Afaik, it was fine on 2017 and 2016 13, but 2018 has issues with OW (probably related to driver/firmware):

nathza009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2018
Where did you see people with 2018 13 run overwatch and it being fine? Afaik, it was fine on 2017 and 2016 13, but 2018 has issues with OW (probably related to driver/firmware):

Hello, I also watched this clip. It was before the software patch. I do not know is it relevant or not.
My 2018 13 can run OW at low setting and get constant 60 FPS. The issue I have is it randomly crashes. I can play 1 or 2 game or not even 3 minutes.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Hello, I also watched this clip. It was before the software patch. I do not know is it relevant or not.
My 2018 13 can run OW at low setting and get constant 60 FPS. The issue I have is it randomly crashes. I can play 1 or 2 game or not even 3 minutes.
When did you install bootcamp? Someone posted on Reddit today that Apple pushed a silent update to Bootcamp (mainly fixing audio issues on Windows). He said the update was not available as an update on Windows and he had to go back to macOS, download the drivers manually using the Bootcamp Assistant and move it to Windows on a flash drive.

nathza009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2018
When did you install bootcamp? Someone posted on Reddit today that Apple pushed a silent update to Bootcamp (mainly fixing audio issues on Windows). He said the update was not available as an update on Windows and he had to go back to macOS, download the drivers manually using the Bootcamp Assistant and move it to Windows on a flash drive.
Hello, In fact I just reinstalled it 30 minutes ago and it still crash.
Maybe I should just give up and wait until the bootcamp software or driver for 2018 model is stable.
Thanks for the update, If you can link the Reddit post to me that would be great.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015

nathza009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2018
Yea wait till after Mojave, they should issue new Bootcamp drivers.

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/9dp5rl/mbp2018_boot_camp_drivers_updated/
Thanks !!

I'm just curious why I happened to me not other people. Like the YouTube video on the second comment above, if that was mine, it would have been crashed couple times.
It is frustrating that sometime you'd be able to play decent one or two games, but sometime it crashed in middle of the game.

I will try another games while waiting for the updates (eg Dota2) see if it crashes like OW.

patricklikesapple

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
Hey! Did you figure anything out? I just got a MPC 2018 and I love it, but I'm super bummed that I can't play Overwatch or Destiny 2 for more than 15 minutes without getting the "rendering device has been lost!" error.