Help! MackBook Storage!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ItsWelshy, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ItsWelshy macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

I really don’t know what to do about my Macbook..

My current setup is a rMBP 2012 that has 512GB storage, 2TB time capsule and iPad + iPhone.

I’ve running out of storage on the MacBook, and am now looking at the possibility of buying an iMac to ease my storage needs... Surley there had to be a better way that forking out another £3k for another machine?

I looked at where my storage was used and iTunes seems to have a lot of space and it has 64GB for iPhone backup? Why? These are files I already have on my machine, why are they being added to an additional phone folder?

It’s got to the point now where I’m not downloading anything as all my devices can’t be backup up to the mac!

Help!

----------

BTW, I was looking at getting the iMac to put everything on (itunes and all) and then just have the rMPB for traveling and ditch the iPad...

2. simsaladimbamba

You could always get an external HDD (USB 3.0) for your additional storage needs.

You have the 512 GB SSD, thus 64 GB of iPhone backups should not be that much to worry about.

To find out, where you storage capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

3. ItsWelshy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply...

My question would be, why is it backing up 64GB of tv, videos and music, with it already exists on the mac of which the iPhone is backed up to?

I was panning on getting a 128GB iPhone if announced tomorrow, but not if it's going to duplicate things as a backup..

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It should not be. I have about 8GB of music on my iPhone and my iPhone backup on my Macbook is about 950MB.

Open Finder and hit shift-command-g and paste the path below in then enter. You should see a folder there for each iOS device backed up in iTunes. Select the one for your phone and do a command-i to see the size of the folder.

If the file seems unusually large, go to iTunes preferences in the Devices tab and delete the backup. Then plug the phone in to iTunes again and click the Backup Now button in the iTunes Summary tab (for your device) to create a new backup.

You also may ave backups there for old devices you no longer own and those can be deleted to clear up some space.

Code:
    ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
    Also, for your music storage (if that is what is using your space), you might take a look at iTunes Match for cloud storage of your music.