Help make my decision easier!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Help Please, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Help Please macrumors regular

I'm currently a college student, studying business, and in the market for a new laptop. I use about a year and half old HP HDX16 at the moment, and while for its age it still performs decently, I'm more ready to switch from PC to Mac. Right now I'm trying to ultimately decide between the 13" and the 15".

I mainly use my laptop for:
    Internet browsing
    Word processing
    Spreadsheets
    Music / Video streaming
    Light gaming...(nothing too graphics intensive, but still nice to have a little GPU power)

Power and portability are obviously at the top of anyones list, including myself. All input is welcomed. Thank you

MacBook Pro 13" Specs:

2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB (Upgrading to 8GB via OWC)
    128GB Solid State Drive or 500GB Seagate Momentus XT
    Intel HD 3000 Graphics

Samsung PX2370 23" Led Monitor + Apple Keyboard = $180

Price: $1,1918 (tax included + 8GB RAM + OWC Rebate) , $1,858 w/ Seagate Momentus XT configuration.

MacBook Pro 15" Specs:

2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display

Price: 1,986 (tax included + Seagate Momentus XT + OWC Rebate)

OR look for a good deal on a 15" 2011 and wait until 2012 for the complete reworking of the MBP?

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

13" MacBook Air "Ultimate".

Don't pay for power you don't "need".

4. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

+1 for this option. The extra real estate with the 1440x900 res is something you'd appreciate with spreadsheets.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

My vote is for the 13. But if you're worried about the resolution, then just go for the 15.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I would get the new 13 MBP ... just something about that Ram soldered onto the Air I do not like.

the new MBP 13 is sweet

7. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I'm in about the same place, actually. Right now I have a 13.3" Vaio and I'm becoming more interested in a larger screen. I like the portability, but I don't take my laptop to classes often. I'm probably going to get the 15" because I don't like the idea of being stuck without a proper graphics card. Again. I regret not springing for one on my current laptop. I'm also l liking the future-proofing aspect of getting the 15".

8. Help Please thread starter macrumors regular

Really? You guys would actually choose the 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo over the 2.7GHz Dual core i7 in the 13" MBP?

I don't know, it just seems silly to buy anything with a C2D in it still, but may'be thats just me being ignorant.

9. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I just said the Core 2 would easily have enough power to handle the tasks you mentioned. Hell most of my tasks easily can be handled by the MBA as well, even light gaming such as WoW & SC2. Of course the Core iX series is better, but that doesn't mean that every user around the world "needs" that power.

10. Help Please thread starter macrumors regular

Touche. I catch your drift completely. I'm just thinking about the future. Core 2 Duo can't be too "future proof" or am I wrong on that one?

11. ramo macrumors member

If you are planning on taking your computer to campus everyday definitely go for the 13". Thats my take as a former college student...

12. Help Please thread starter macrumors regular

Well as of right now, I'm really swaying towards the 13". I watched like 30 reviews of the MBA 13", but still didn't think it was right for me. As far as the 15" goes I really like it and think it would be a great machine, but for what I can get with the 13" + the added portability, I think that's the best choice for me right now.

13. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

I say the 13 for what you want to do.. plus it will be less money lost when you want to upgrade in a few years. After school you will have a better idea of what you will want long term... hopefully be able to afford more then. At that point spend on a top of the line current model.

14. Help Please thread starter macrumors regular