Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karr271

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I'm planning on purchasing a SSD for my next MacBook pro. However, Im not rich lol so I'd limited myself to a 128gb SSD. Although I have a small music collection, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to load all of my programs and music library with much room to spare, I will not be able to fit my 30gb and rapidly growing photo library on it. How can I manage my photo library on a portable hard drive but still be able to sort or catalogue the using a program like iPhoto or even aperture 3. Also, Is there any programs that can help me with this?

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm planning on purchasing a SSD for my next MacBook pro. However, Im not rich lol so I'd limited myself to a 128gb SSD. Although I have a small music collection, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to load all of my programs and music library with much room to spare, I will not be able to fit my 30gb and rapidly growing photo library on it. How can I manage my photo library on a portable hard drive but still be able to sort or catalogue the using a program like iPhoto or even aperture 3. Also, Is there any programs that can help me with this?

You can tell iPhoto and Aperture where to store your photo libraries in their Preferences. It doesn't have to be on your boot disk. No big deal there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.