Help Maxing out a 2006 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by minimelkav, Mar 2, 2015.

1. minimelkav, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015

minimelkav macrumors newbie

I have been planing to upgrade my 2006 imac, just because i can (Please don't tell me its a waste of money, i am very much aware :p)

Soo, i have upgraded my firmware from 4,1 to 5,1 ( Allowing over 2gb ram and C2D cpu's)

Planed upgrades are as followed:

* get a t7600 cpu (fastest with 667 mhz fsb)

*a cheap 120 gb ssd (limited to sata I performance 1.5gb/s)

*also plan to get 2x 2gb ddr2 ram sticks.

But my questions are, if i get a t7600g cpu (unlocked multiplier) would any overclocking under osx be possible ? (Via custom kexts maybe ???)

and after upgrading the hardware i plan to use either chamelon or ml post factor to upgrade to 10.8 (64 bit kexts are available for the ati x1600 gpu so thats not an issue)

my main questions are... booting a 64bit kernel can i get past the 3.3 gb ram limit (and possibly install 6gb ram as the chipset should support .) Secondly what overclocking options are available to me (both gpu and cpu) under osx? As stated above a cpu is available with unlocked multipliers and fans can move a lot of air @ 3500 rpm :) , but voltage control would be an issue.... and for x1600 overclocking ATItraytool may work? but i would like maximum performance under osx.. so windows tools don't help much :)

Also a few more insane ideas ;)

* remove airport card for mini pcie ssd

* possibly install small fan filters (to allow much higher fan speeds without risk of dust being sucked deeply into the system)

*upgrading optical drive with B-ray (Most likely impossible)

*remove airport card for a mini pcie usb 3 card (with osx support)

Help and knowledge would be greatly appreciated !

(Or directions to a mental heath institution)

Edit: Never-mind the overcoming 3.3 gb ram, its a chip-set issue :(

2. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

Unless you have loads of money or this is a long-term project, you'd better off finding a later model iMac on the used market. You'll spend less money and get better performance.

3. minimelkav thread starter macrumors newbie

I am aware of this,
    I would just like to see how far the first intel iMac could go. As i already own the matched ram set, and SSD (from other misc PC work) all That would need to be purchased is the $50 or $140 cpu upgrade. But i need help both with the overclocking and to see if the 64bit kernel would provide any benefits.