HELP: MBA 13" 1.86 vs. MBP 13" 2.53 (June 2009)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Poochi, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Hello guys, sorry if this has been posted, but I need some numbers and I don't know how to go about finding them.

I have June 2009 MBP 13", 4GB, 2.53GHz CPU, 9400M

I am planning to buy MBA 13", 4GB, 1.86GHz, 320M model.

(mostly upgrades except the CPU clock speed, like how much of a difference is it between 9400M vs 320M?).

How much of a performance increase/decrease would I realize running the following:
    1. World of Warcraft
    2. Starcraft 2
    3. VMWare Fusion 3.*

The above 3 are the most taxing activities I do on the current MBP and my current MBP runs hot and does not do too well... WoW Dalaran takes forever to load now, VMWare takes forever to loadup let alone multitasking with it in the background, SC2 only good under mostly low resolution.

I know it is due to slow harddrive for sure, I am not sure how much CPU has in this performance bottleneck and excessive heat (very warm to my liking).

So would the 1.86GHz CPU in the MBA make the situation worse or overall I would realize performance improvement (and reduction in heat) due to 128GB SSD?

Advise and insights are greatly appreciated :)

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I've run both VMWare Fusion 3 and Parallels (5.0 and now 6.0) on my 1.86GHz Rev B Air with the SSD, and in general I've found Parallels to be a bit faster (though 6.0 seems a little buggier and more prone to random freezes right now - give it a patch or two and it should be better). The SSD makes a big difference when booting OS X or Windows 7 in Boot Camp, though I'd imagine that in virtualization it will still be sluggish.