HELP! - MBA 13" 256SSD Vs MBPr 13" 128SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by retsurf, Dec 14, 2012.

1. retsurf, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

retsurf macrumors newbie

Hi,

I want to replace my current Macbook with a new one and I narrowed it down (price/spec-wise) to one of these two choices. The price difference with educ. discount (spanish store) is minimal:

MBA 13" 256SSD : 1.588,73€
    MBPr 13" 128SSD : 1.672€

I already added 4GB of RAM to the MBA (totaling 8GB), being a MUST for me.
    On the MBPr I really love the Retina display and HDMI port, although I've read reviews bashing on the Pro as being laggy in certain situations. (lacking a discrete graphic card and having to support that display resolution..)

On the other hand we have the MBA with double the GB storage, lighter (not really an issue as I use it mainly at home) and from what I've read fast enough for my needs.

Not wanting to upgrade the Pro to 256GB because of my budget, which one would you guys choose?

Thanks in advance!

2. Valkyre macrumors 6502

Macbook air is my recommendation.

rmbp needs a dedicated gfx card to boost its performance like the 15 inch rmbp has.

The air is going to be faster and will feel smoother as an experience +more ssd (128gb is a joke) . I would go for that one.

3. paepcke macrumors member

I would guess you do not have a Retina Macbook? Otherwise your statement does makes no sense. If you have an Retina Macbook your would not repeat this lag story.

Stop asking the forum, stop reading post from people with retina envy. Go to the Apple Store and try it yourself. There is no lag. The Display is just great.

4. Valkyre macrumors 6502

Hey smartass, look at my other posts if you want... I own a retina macbook pro 15 inch. And no I do not and will not recommend the 13inch because I had it and I had to swap it for the 15inch.

And in any case this is my opinion, I was asked for it and I provided it. If you dont agree with it fine, but atleast learn to DEAL WITH IT.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you're not worried about portability, why not just go with a standard 13" or 15" MBP? You could always upgrade the HDD to achieve the same responsiveness you'd get with a SSD.

6. retsurf, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

retsurf thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I update my macbooks every 3-4 years and the standard MBP looks already dated (same form factor as my 09' MB) so I'm attracted by either the new slimmer retinas or the MBA.
    It's a choice between these two, but I find it hard to decide, for the reasons posted above.. Retina will be standard in 1-2 years, which makes me wonder how i'll feel about the MBA screen in the future.. Oh boy, tough decision. Btw, is it possible to upgrade to a larger SSD in a future?

Thanks for the input, the more the better!

7. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

Fwiw I'm in the same boat, so went to the apple store in Regents Street and was told by three of the staff not to touch the 13" retina and if 13" was a must to get the standard MacBook and upgrade it yourself

If retina was a must they all said get the 15"

8. mslide macrumors 6502a

I had the same dilemma a few weeks back and went with the 13" cMBP. I don't like v1 technology and integrated graphics just isn't there yet for that kind of display. The MBA is really cool but I don't need that kind of portability. Plus, I really wanted the ability to have 16GB RAM. As far as the 13" MacBooks go, I still think the cMBP is the best one (assuming you put in an SSD yourself that is).

9. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Like pretty much everyone else with a 13" rMBP I have seen no issues with lag. It is a far better machine than the standard 13" MBP. The display alone is worth it. I actually had the 15' rMBP first but never took it anywhere because of its size and weight so I exchanged it for the 13" rMBP and have been quite happy with it in every way.

10. hawon macrumors member

I'd recommend you to go with MBA. 256gb over 128gb any day. I have 15" rMBP with 256gb and the display is stunning but I'm having hard time with 256gb. I can never think of having 126gb