Help! MBP 13" just destroyed a disc!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TDHXXX, Mar 12, 2011.

1. TDHXXX macrumors regular

Hey there,

I bought myself one of the swish new 13" i5 MBPs a couple of weeks ago, I tried installing some important software off a disc (first time i've used the drive) and it took forever to launch the application installer, when it did launch it hung, and crashed, so I ejected the disc and checked the back only to find that it has been scratched to high hell, these are little surface blemishes either, they are visibly rough to the touch (like someone had buffed it against gravel or something!). Now I had my MBP flat on a wooden desk and didn't move it all so it couldn't have been knocked .etc and I know for sure that the disc was fine before I put it in (I installed the same software on my iMac not too long ago) and I am pedantic about taking care of my discs (things I brought 15 years ago are still in near-mint condition, even after moving house innumerable times).

What should I do? I need to contact Apple obviously, but now I can't use that ever-so-important disc too! :(

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I'd recommend taking the machine into Apple to see about having the optical drive replaced.

As for the disc, you could try a disc scratch repair kit (such as Skip Dr. which I've heard is decent, and can be picked up from the likes of Staples and Best Buy); places like Blockbuster and other rental shops can usually resurface discs as well for a nominal fee. I've heard toothpaste and brasso also work, but I've never tried it myself.

Best of luck and have a great day. :)

3. shoegal macrumors member

Yup this happened to me to. My mbp destroyed a couple of disks and sometimes wouldn't even accept discs. The optical drive was defective and I had it replaced!

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Bring/Send the machine to Apple to replace the optical drive. Good luck. :)