HELP! MBP 15" (2010) gets VERY hot when playing Skyrim!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by specklemuffins, Jul 20, 2012.

1. specklemuffins macrumors newbie

So I have a late 2010 15" MacBook Pro. I'm running Windows 7 on it through Bootcamp. I've noticed that after I play Skyrim for about 15 minutes, my computer gets unbelievably hot, hotter than it ever gets doing anything else on Windows or Snow Leopard. Also, while playing, the disc spins constantly and I can hear the fans working very hard. I'm worried I'm doing permanent damage. Any suggestions??

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Skyrim is very intensive and will work your computer harder than most things you use, so not surprising

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Completely normal. Unless it shuts off you dont actually have a problem.

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Normal. Your computer is designed to take a lot more heat than you'd think.

5. specklemuffins thread starter macrumors newbie

Sometimes I have to turn off and restart the game because my frame rate has slowed down so much. Is this related to the heat issue??

6. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

BREAKING NEWS!

Running intensive 3D applications can cause a GPU to heat up. Sources also claim that heat does indeed cause metals such as aluminium to feel hot to the touch.

In other news, the moon is infact NOT made of cheese.

7. specklemuffins thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for being snide and sarcastic. I'm aware that computers normally heat up when performing intensive activities. Excuse me that I'm concerned about the well being of my $3,000 computer. I was concerned because it seemed ABNORMALLY hot and was causing game performance to suffer. If you don't have anything helpful to say...why did you bother replying??

8. leenak macrumors 68020

I've played games under OSX and Windows. It definitely seems like the temp control under OSX is a lot better than under Windows. There have been a few threads about this previously.

9. specklemuffins thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks all. I'm relieved that this is normal. I'm still a little concerned that my frame rate slows down so much after playing for awhile. I've read all kinds of things about downloading fan apps, but I dunno....

10. Dronac macrumors member

Most computers will do an emergency shutdown if the core temp gets too high. My desktop's i7 hits a core temp of 100 degrees C normally under load. IIRC, damage doesn't occur until you get into the 120-140 degrees C range. The only time I'v had a computer do an automatic shutdown due to heat was when one of my HDD's decided to spontaniously combust.

11. specklemuffins thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! That makes me feel better! I need to monitor my temp. and be sure it's not getting dangerously high. It certainly feels very hot but I'm glad to hear that's pretty normal! =)

12. Rocky244 macrumors regular

He probably bothered replying in the hopes that people might start to think for themselves to solve problems, or at the very least google things for themselves to solve problems.

Also, probably for a bit of humor for the rest of us... I mean, I thought it was pretty funny...

----------

Also, there have been other threads explaining the performance throttling that takes place in the older MBP as a result of the thermal design.

I.e more heat = performance dips, and it continues until the heat ceases getting slower and slower, but it is still normal. I even saw a graph somewhere... Showed a pretty linear dip in performance as time went on and the unit got hotter.

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Doesn't it throttle back the processor when it starts approaching a certain temperature so it can keep the temp under control? I seem to remember something about that, and it could be why your frame rate slows down.

14. Rocky244 macrumors regular

See, we agree :D

15. Paradoxally, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012

Paradoxally macrumors 65816

It's normal, don't worry too much about it. I play games and it heats up a lot.

16. Raptura macrumors 6502

Raptura