Help - MBP 15" Mid 2010: Buy MBP 15" 2017? Wait for MBP 2018?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kk3833, Jul 11, 2018.

  1. kk3833 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2018
    #1
    I am in a dilemma. I am a photographer + videographer using Premiere Pro to edit videos. I am about to go on a month tour where photo + video content is needed daily.

    Specs on my current MBP:

    Model: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) OS: macOS High Sierra v10.13.5 Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB Intel HD Graphics 288 MB Storage: 1 TB SSD (Currently 150GB of available space >.< I know, I know, I need to make more space. Which I plan to do before I leave on tour in August. I plan to have at least 500GB of open space on my SSD)

    Questions:

    1. Can I make this current MBP any faster while on the road? (I'll be on a tour bus, some outlets, but will be operating portable equipment)

    2. Do I wait till, August, Septemeber, God knows when (this year? hopefully) for a new MBP 2018 model?

    3. Buy a 15" MBP with the following specs:
    Touch Bar and Touch ID
    3.1GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
    16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    1TB SSD storage
    Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory
    Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
    Backlit Keyboard
    US English Accessory Kit
    Force Touch trackpad

    I know if I buy the above MBP, it'll for sure be better than what I have now. But with the keyboard issue going on, and the recent discovery of 5 new MB's coming out, I'm so eager to wait. I really don't know what is the best move here. The next laptop I buy will last me as long as I've had this mid-2010.

    Your thoughts, advice, and time are appreciated!
     
  2. czerney macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    #2
    My only thought is that if you buy new now and have a critical keyboard issue on the road you'll be stuck.

    If it were me I'd plan to keep using the 2010 and upgrade when you get back. I think since Apple decided not to release new product at WWDC then might as well take 2-3 months they can get away with to get their act together on the 2018 line.

    Unless there's a critical reason for buying a current model now I think everyone should wait for the refresh.
     
  3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

    BrettApple

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    Location:
    Heart of the midwest
    #3
    Honestly, with a Mac that's still supported and running High Sierra, with an SSD and 8GB of RAM. I'd just wait it out.

    I owned that exact machine up till El Capitan and it was still running very well for it's age. Sure the 1st gen i5 isn't particularly quick, and it's got some weight to it but they're good machines, especially with the upgrades you've made to it.

    I'd agree with the above, unless it's critical, ride it out and grab a 2018 later on this year, we're already over half way through the year so it couldn't be too much longer.

    On a side note, that Mac is coming up on, or may already be 8 years old. Which is a great lifespan for a laptop!
    My Late 2008 was doing just fine last I checked with it's new owner (sold it in 2014).

    I'd hope they'll have an actual fix for the fundamental design flaws the current models have with their keyboards so that would be worth waiting for. But we shall see.

    HOWEVER - if that tour is what is paying for the laptop in the first place, and the added productivity and speed a newer machine would offer, then that could change the game a little. The GeForce 330m is not fast, we know that, and if you're exporting in Premiere I'd imagine it's a little slow to do so. Then it might be worth just picking one up. Outside of that though, I'd stick with it.

    You might dump some content off the internal SSD to an external or cloud service if you can to make some space, or have some external drives handy for that tour just in case of course. You'll love the faster USB 3/thunderbolt on the newer models for moving your media around. Biggest increase in speed I got going from my Late 2008 to my Late 2013 was USB 3.0 speeds for external drives. Outside of the usual CPU/GPU upgrades.
     
  4. poorcody macrumors 6502a

    poorcody

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2013
    #4
    There seems to be solid reporting of new Macs being released in the fall. So if you can wait, I would. Going by history, seems a decent bet they will be announced right after Labor Day or possibly October.
     
  5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

    CoastalOR

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2015
    Location:
    Oregon, USA
    #5
    New 2018 MBP's just released:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...yboard-quad-core-on-13-inch-and-more.2127098/
     

Share This Page