Help: MBP 1st Time New Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jedi5, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Going to replace my battery on my 09 MBP and I want to make sure I do this correctly. The battery is a 3rd party battery, brand is Anker.

From what I've read and if I understood correctly, is that an Apple vs 3rd party battery are treated differently on 1st-3rd cycles.

Can I just replace the battery and go or are there steps I need to take?

thanks

2. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hi! Cannot help - but since I'm going to have to replace my mid-2012 MBP battery one of these days, I'm wondering if you managed to find an answer to your question?

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I've replaced batteries in two late '08 MBPs with third party batteries without anything special needing to be done.

However, those were in the heady days of battery-access doors and it required little effort to replace. I'm not sure if it's different on later models.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The 2008 was the last model with user replaceable batteries. The Mid 2009 models have a single piece baseplate and (according to Apple) a non user replaceable battery attached with proprietary tri-wing screws.

I would think having physically installed the new battery, the mac will need an SMC reset.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Which can be got at with a $2 (or in your case £1!) screwdriver :)