HELP! MBP 320g drive hosed by disconnecting iphone!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djtman, Mar 7, 2010.

1. djtman macrumors newbie

I was doing the latest update to my phone, connected to my MBP via itunes. I realized I had to bring get my son from school, so I canceled the update, disconnected the phone, and left. When I came back later and plugged my phone in, all apps were crawling and freezing on me with pinwheels. I restarted the mbp and got the question mark of death. Here are my specs:
    15 inch mbp unibody
    OS 10.5.6
    4G ram
    320g hd
    not sure processor speed but I think 2.5ghz
    (a) I tried to restart with install DVD by pressing C - no change (would not start from disk)
    (b) I reset Pram - no change
    (c) I restarted pressing option - it saw the drive, but would not mount it- no change
    (d) I pulled the drive- hooked it up to a sata connection via usb and started my white MB, the drive did not come up.
    (e) I restarted the white MB again and booted from install disks, it saw the drive, but could not mount it.
    (f) using disk utility did not help, it errored out.
    (e) I ran disk warrior on the drive for A WEEK's time and it told me "speed reduced by disk malfuntion 27,966" before I force quit the app
    MY DELEMA is...I had some video edits on this drive since my last backup that I spent many hours on that I would like to recover. How can I back this drive up, if I can't mount it? I realize that I will probably have to reformat the drive, but I would really like to get this data off. Any suggestions? I have read about the apps "Tech Tools Pro" and "Virtual Lab", but I don't want to spend any more money on things that wont work.
    Any ideas, wisdom would be appreciated.
    PS - I included a pic from when disk warrior was at 16+K
    -Terry

Attached Files:

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Sounds like a hard disk failure. We used daystar computer in suwanee or Buford Ga to recover our data. It was $55 to diagnose and an addl $55 once they recovered the files.

As long as it's not doing a bunch of loud clicking they usually can recover it.

Cheers,

3. djtman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Panzer,
    Thanks for the reply. It just seems to me that the system files got screwed up with me killing the phone update. I can't believe that it was a hardware failure because of that, but I guess it could happen. Recovering is my last resort, and I have a friend at Iron Mountain that has done some work for me, so I will go that route if I cannot come up with any other solutions.
    How long did the process take with Daystar? That price certainly seems reasonable.
    Thanks again.
    -Terry

4. nephilim7 macrumors regular