Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fox777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
USA
Hi guys, I am having problem with starting up my new MBP, would really appreciate if you could help me out.

Hardware:
1. Current rev of MBP 15' 2.53 Ghz
2. HITACHI Travelstar HD20500 IDK/7K 500GB 7200 RPM

What happened is that I had this Hitachi drive in my PC laptop running Windows 7. Last night I got my MBP and decided to put that Hitachi drive in macbook, then format it and install OS X. Once i put the hard drive in and tried to start MBP i kept getting Windows Recovery Screen because MBP was trying to boot from hard drive directly. Since this is my first ever Mac I didn't know what key to press to be able to choose from DVD. On one of the attempts I actually hit "Proceed Windows normally" and it gave me blue fatal screen saying it was not possible.

Once I figured how to boot from DVD I used Disk utility to format the HDD under Extended (Journaled) and then installed OS X on it. I got the welcome screen and put my apple ID, choose my language and then when I get to screen where it says: "Enjoy your Apple product and OS X" and I hit "Go" it just stays on blue screen and does not do anything. I then run permissions check and disk verify and it failed both tests. Then I erased whole hard drive with "Zero out data" option and then installed OS X - same blue screen. Now permissions check seems to be fine but it fails disk verify. When I hit "repair disk" it runs it but then says it can't fix it.

Everytime I reinstall OS X(I reinstalled OS 4 times) it tells me it was "successfully installed OS X on my drive". Also, would like to note that everytime I format my HDD and then do "disk verify" while HDD is empty it passes it.

This hard drive is only 1 week old and was working excellent in my PC. I don't think it is defective. So did I mess it up by letting MBP boot from it while it had Windows 7? Is that why now I can't install OS X on it?

:apple:Sorry for crazy long post :apple:

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
In DiskUtility, make sure the drive is using the GUID partition table. When buying new drives, they are typically formatted with MBR and NTFS/FAT.

Otherwise, in DU you select the drive itself (not the volume below it), chose the partition tab, change CURRENT to 1 partition, click the OPTIONS button, change to GUID, then select Extented (journaled), give it a name, then click APPLY.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.