Help, MBP Hard Drive is Read-Only, Can't access or unlock any user preferences

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deaddog, Oct 15, 2011.

1. deaddog macrumors member

I could really use some help. I have searched and tried what I could but I am at a loss with what to do. I first noticed this last night when I was trying to switch users and after entering the correct password nothing would happen. I then went to Preferences to reset my password and the lock icon was closed so I clicked to unlock it and it prompted me for my password and after entering the correct one nothing happens. It simply reverts back to the same window without unlocking.

I am unable to switch users, unlock any locked preferences, install any software, etc as anything that requires my admin password won't work. I am entering the correct password because if the wrong one is entered it "shakes" and the correct one looks as if it will be accepted but it doesn't.

I have tried running repair in Disk Utility and rebooting multiple times to no avail. I finally decided to try and reinstall Lion however once I get to the page asking for admin allowance it again won't go past the password screen so I can't even do that.

After reading tons of threads I came across one that pointed to my Macintosh HD. I chose get info and it turns out that I am now Read Only. The only one with write access is System. Therefore I can't do anything.

I am completely at a loss and really need some help. Some threads I've come across mention running scripts in Terminal but I have no idea what is actually relevant for me and would really prefer some specific help. I was on 10.7.1 so I upgraded to 10.7.2 but the issue is still very much present.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

3. deaddog thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it still has me listed as Admin

(nice name :))