HELP! MBP keeps rebooting after "chimes" on startup!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by legaleye3000, Oct 18, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I have a mid 07 Macbook Pro and now when I turn it on, I will hear the Apple sound and then it just reboots and keeps doing that. Nothing on the screen comes on, its just black.

I am running Snow Leopard (fresh install) 10.6.1. Tried resetting PRAM and SMU and no effect...

PLEASE HELP! Thanks

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

have you tried holding Option + Command + P + R during startup? That restarts the PRAM and might sort out your problems.....

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes- as mentioned above... Resetting PRAM and SMU has not worked

4. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Attempt to boot from install disc by holding option or D.

5. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Its reboots so quickly I'm afraid if I put a cd/dvd in the drive, I won't be able to get it out...

6. celticpride678

I would take it to the Apple Store Genius Bar and have them take a look. Could be a dead hard drive, logic board or graphics card. Also, could just need a system reinstall.

7. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Its out of warranty ... :( mid 07...

I have an extra hard drive... I wonder if I take out the hard drive and put my extra one in, if it will keep doing that... hmmm...

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Sorry about that, I am having a stupid day!!!

The only other thing I can suggest is to use the OSX disk but as you said it may get stuck. If not how far do you live from your nearest store? I know that your not in warranty but they can still help you!

9. celticpride678

You can try that, but I feel it is a logic board failure. You might find a cheap one off of eBay...

10. ehergert macrumors newbie

Sounds similar to an issue I had this summer. Try running a hardware diagnostic (out in install DVD and hold D, if I remember right), then check the error code that you get. The issue with mine was a bad RAM chip. Once I pulled the RAM chip out, things worked fine. Mine was still under a year old, so the Apple store replaced it no charge.