Help - MBP Kernel Panic after Time Machine Restore on New Internal HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fireworks501, Jun 30, 2010.

1. fireworks501 macrumors member

Hey team.

Just bought a Seagate Blue 750GB HD for my MBP. Upgrading from 250GB.
    Tons of great reviews, seemed straightforward.

Have backed up my old machine regularly to a 1TB external USB 2.0 HD.
    The install went fine. No issues.

I used the Mac OS X Install disc and formatted the new disc as Mac OS Journaled, and then selected Restore from Backup. The program found my most recent Time Machine backup, found the source drive, and copied the files over. Took about 2 hours.

Restarted, and kernel panic and grey screen on boot. Kept on trying - would never boot.

So, tried again. This time, decided to restore from the second to most recent Time Machine backup. Same story... no luck. Kernel panic and grey screen on boot.

I'm lost.

Any idea what to do?

NP

2. aljlin macrumors regular

Does it print out the kernel panic trace thread? might give a clue what is causing the panic. The trace thread for the panic might be displayed when the kernel panic happens in more details. Haven't had a kernel panic happen in awhile on this machine, so I don't know how OSX displays it. Might be a good starting point to know what is causing the kernel panic..

You could also try to bring in the computer and say you were reinstalling your machine from a time machine backup and ran into the problem and see what they say. I don't know what their position is on user replacing hard drives. It could be the drive causing the panic, but if you were able to instal the osx just fine it doesn't seem likely, it becomes a little more questionable, unless your backup contains an inconsistency. If you go that route, bring your backup drive as well...

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Can't really rule out the new HDD before you even do a clean install. What you should try doing is not restore from Time Machine and just install off the OS X install DVD and see what happens.

4. aljlin macrumors regular

Oops I read that wring I thought he installed and then restored.. See what happens after installing the OS from scratch...