Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bastetbabe27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Hey folks,

As of last night, my MBP started acting very strangely. After entering my username and password, it would enter the desktop for a short period of time and then kick back into sleep mode; the screen would turn back to black. Sometimes it will let me stay on the desktop for a long time and other times it will hardly let me stay on the desktop. I called apple support and they had me start the computer in safe mode; even then it occasionally kicks me out. The tech guy said that it was a "strange software issue" and not a hardware issue. I thought it was a hard drive issue; my hard drive makes an odd sound when it unlocks, but it has been doing that for quite some time with no issues.

How should I remedy this problem? I am running OS X; not leopard or snow leopard. I know I need to upgrade, but this shouldn't be happening.

Thanks,

B

bastetbabe27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
I believe the issue has been resolved. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

:)

bastetbabe27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Never mind. The problem persists. I tried resetting the SMC by turning the computer off, removing the power cord, taking the battery out, pressing the power button for 5 seconds, replacing the battery and then starting it up again. It still returns to sleep mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.