Help!!!!! mbp Superdrive spitting dvds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aerove, Jul 2, 2008.

1. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

hey everyone.. my sr mbp is about 10 months old(bought it last sept) .Its got the HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N drive. well , it seems as if my mbp hates dvds as its been rejecting most of them. for instance of the two restore dvds that came along with the mac, it took about 10-15 attempts to read the first one .As for the second one , forget it! it never lasts more than 15secs inside the drive.

This doesnt seem to be happening with cds as they are read perfectly fine. even empty dvds are also rejected. Therefore i request suggestions for clearing this issue. Take the following things into consideration

1. I'll be living in Clemson,Sc and there are no apple stores around. the nearest is about 150 miles (in Atlanta) so travelling there might be an issue.

2. if i take it to the applestore and demo this issue with the genius will the drive be replaced instantly ? or would they ask me to comeback again ?

any suggestions would be great!:(

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would think "instantly" would be a stretch ;)

The Lenox Store is the only one I use, and I would say they would keep it at least a day. They stay awfully busy. They took 3 days to replace my keyboard.

Spend the night, take in a Braves game!

EDIT: or it won't be long you can watch some real college football between the hedges... you won't be getting any of that up there in Clemson :) Oh, wait... they will be playing in the dome soon against 'Bama!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

There's a apple authorized service center called "iPlace" located in greenville .. do they also handle these kind of issues ?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If they are an authorized service center I would think they would

Give them a call... they can probably give you an estimate to replace and a timeline

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

is there any way to reset the firmware? cause i think this problem started after a firmware update which came out sometime back for the superdrives.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I dont think so, you could try reflashing the firmware again, but it might just say its already updated.

If its under warranty, i suggest getting the thing replaced.

7. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

I checked out the apple authorised service centers around clemson, SC found this one store called iPlace .. the website is this..
    has anyone had any prior experiences gettin ur mac serviced ? or would u suggest me to take to the applestore in atlanta ?