Help! MBP won't boot- blue/grey screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BiggAW, May 15, 2013.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

My early 2011 15" MBP won't boot. It has 8GB of ram, 160GB SSD, 640GB hard drive, relatively high end hardware, but nothing that's particularly out there. It's hooked up to gigabit Ethernet, a 27" Dell LCD via MDP>DP, and a chain of USB crap that includes 11TB of disk storage, mouse, keyboard, iPhone/iPad cable, a USB DAC, and probably something else back there that I forgot about.

The first problem I started having the other day, which *I think* is unrelated to the booting issue is that my relatively new 3TB Time Machine drive seems to have kicked the bucket. It was a bit flaky for a while, but I didn't think much of it, and I have a double-hubbed USB system that has 11TB of storage on it, and isn't terribly reliable in the first place. I'm not too worried about data, as I have the really important stuff backed up on Backblaze, safely in San Francsico, and I have a couple of month old TM drive that's stored at another location in a fireproof safe, which I was intending to swap back and forth every few months to isolate against a physical disaster, although it appears that I should have been thinking more about a drive kicking the bucket. The drive now clicks, and won't mount. It kicks some errors out, and Disk Utility wouldn't repair it, as it can't see the volume on it at all.

The second issue started a few days ago. The machine started having a really hard time waking up (it has some difficultly normally, but at worst hitting the power button will get it to wake up). I had to hard restart after the screen went totally black and the machine wouldn't wake up at all.

Today, as I was on the internet, with the pages I was viewing on the 27" Dell, and Slacker up in a window on the internal display, the internal display went all wonky, with lines through it, and it became positioned incorrectly. I took a picture of it, which I have on my Galaxy S III, but isn't convenient now, and a screenshot. The screenshot looked totally normal, but the picture shows what was going on.

After that, I was in the other room, and the machine went to sleep. Ironically, I had just opened up my new Chromebook, so the Mac must have felt jealous an decided to throw a fit. :) When I went back in to get some info off the Mac, I couldn't wake it up. A hard restart threw it to a bright blue screen. I tried unplugging the MDP and USB, an SMC reset, and booting off of the recovery DVD for Snow Leopard, and none helped. Trying to boot off of the DVD got me to the Apple logo, but nothing happened after that. I did try target disk mode, and it went into target disk mode, but I don't have the FW8-FW4-6pin cable necessary to do target disk mode with my old plastic Macbook, so I couldn't see if it would actually let me get at anything.

What should I try next, or do I have to schlep it to the Apple Store an hour away?

2. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

And after that episode, I let it sit for a while, and now it boots right up like normal. WTF is going on?

3. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Now that I have the machine up, here's the picture I referenced before (pic reposted with email blocked out):

Attached Files:

4. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Aaannnnnnnd my backup drive is back in business. WTF?

----------

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the screen went black while I was on the machine, and I had to force restart and now it won't boot up again.

5. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Aaaaaaand it's back up again. This intermittent stuff is driving me NUTS. I think it is something to do with the discreet graphics, but I'm not quite sure what. Also, I have to use them, as I use an external monitor, and for whatever reason, the internal graphics can't drive an external monitor.

6. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

It was running from last night until this evening with heavy torrent traffic. A few minutes after I woke it up, it went on the fritz, and the screen shifted sideways, and then a few minutes after that it went black and refused to boot again. Does anyone have ANY idea what the heck is going on? It seems graphics related, but I can't put my finger on it....

7. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020