HELP: MBP wont boot Tiger from an external drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwfl, Jun 6, 2008.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

The problem is a bit more complicated than that.

My SR MBP came with Tiger as the installed OS but i upgraded to leopard. i have an iMac that also came with tiger and eventually i upgraded it to leopard.

I installed tiger on an external drive to run Avid MC and i intended to run on both macs.

I used the MBP to install Tiger on the external drive, i then booted from the external drive in the iMac. It ran fine and i installed some updates including the iMac software update.

However, now when i hook to the MBP and try to boot form the external drive, i pass the apple logo and then it takes forever at a greyish blue screen. It wont let me in. It boots fine in the iMac.

Anyone familiar with the problem?
    is it due to changes in resolutions? 1440x900 vs 1920x1200?
    is it the imac software update?

thanks for reading.

2. thenetstud macrumors member

I would think it has to do with the iMac software update. Once the OS installs specific updates for the hardware it is currently running on it will cause problems if you switched the hard drive to another computer.

It would be like taking the internal hard drive out of an iMac and slapping it into a Mac Pro.

3. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

is there anyway i can remove that update, i cant really reinstall Tiger and i still need it.

4. thenetstud macrumors member

Archive & Install or Erase & Install is the only options at this point.

5. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Archive and install did the trick.

however I remember I installed MBP software update the first time i installed tiger. Yet it did work in the iMac.

How come when i install the imac software update it does not work in the MBP.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Probably cause the drivers are different for the iMac and the MBP.

7. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

That is true, but the remark is

You can run Tiger that has the MBP software installed on an iMac. But you cant run Tiger that has the iMac software installed on a MBP.

it seems the MBP software does not affect the iMac. Why the iMac software is not compatible with the MBP.