HELP!!! mbp wont boot up!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by giantdave, Dec 25, 2007.

1. giantdave macrumors member

so i was about to go home for christmas break, planning on droppin some cash to buy an engagement ring, and the night before im gonna leave i go to turn on my mac, and it wont boot up. here's what it does

push power button, grey screen comes up, login sound plays, but instead of seeing this:apple: is see :apple: flashing into the circle with a line through it, and everyonce in a while a folder image.

i have no idea what this is, and i dunno what to do. i took it to the local apple certified store (not apple store but certified mac people) and he told me it was 90 bucks to diagnose, and if its hardware 90 plus the cost of hardware. \

so to save money that i desperatly need i am asking for help. anyone know what this is???

2. MaltaMatt macrumors newbie

Looks like the Target Boot Menu...

Were you by any chance pressing the alt / option key while booting ?

3. giantdave thread starter macrumors member

no, its done it numerous times. the guy at the mac store looked at it, and said he thinks it could be the hard drive, but it would be 90 bucks to check. and that sucks

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Do you have another Mac or know anyone with one?

You can try booting off of the installer DVDs and see if Disk Utility can mount the hard drive.

5. giantdave thread starter macrumors member

i dont know anyone at home with a mbp. and i stupidly left all my disks in my dorm (which they had already locked the building when i noticed a problem) and by the time i get back i will have given up and paid the money, i need it for school, and hopefully well before

6. giantdave thread starter macrumors member

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Not much you can do without another Mac or the OS X DVDs in terms of diagnosis.

You might try a live CD and see if you can at least mount the drive.

8. giantdave thread starter macrumors member

so i pushed comman+shift+s when i booted it, and it went to a black screen with white letters, which im assuming is terminal or something. and it stopped saying that i could not load mach_kernel

does neone know about this? could this be fixed with install disks? im trying to get an install disk from someone, since i left mine at school (STUPID i even considered brining them home)

9. ronainsworth68 macrumors member

It sounds like it cannot see the hard drive. I am going to have to say its a hard drive failure. If you can not find a disc to boot onto you may end up having to pay the $90. If it’s under warranty I do see why it would cost anything. Have you called Apple about this?

10. giantdave thread starter macrumors member

its ni longer under warranty, and i havent called apple yet...will do that prolly monday