HELP! MBP13 - 2.53GHz vs MBP15 - 2.66GHZ HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theappleman, Jun 8, 2009.

1. theappleman macrumors newbie

Hey I need some real honest advice, about which MacBook Pro to get. I was holding out for the rumoured updates, and today they came; needless to say I am very impressed about specs and price. My only real problem is which MacBook Pro I really need.

I do the usual personal/university related stuff; such as word processing, making sideshows, and web browsing. I play absolutely no games. In the near future though I do plan to get into video/music/photo editing. Very basic stuff like shooting and editing short films and maybe mixing/remixing tracks. I hope to use iLife initially, but as my needs progress maybe even something like final cut express and logic express.

My initial plan was to get the 2.53 and an external monitor, so I would have the screen real estate when needed and portability when needed, but the only thing holding me back is the GPU. Will it perform for my needs future video/photo/music editing?

Basically do I really need the MBP15, is it worth the extra just for the GPU or will the MBP13 satisfy my needs?

Thank you so much in advance .

PS. With regards to the free iPod Touch and OS 3.0 and the $9.99 upgrade. I was curious if I should just wait until then to buy my MacBook and get the free iPod Touch, because will they come shipped with OS 3.0 standard by then? Does anyone know, because I could not find any clear explanations.

2. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

The 9600GTm will definitely help if you're planning to get into video editing. I have edited and rendered with the 9400m on my uMBP. It's pretty decent, but it was a lot faster with the 9600. If you're going to use iLife, the 9400 is ok. I only noticed slow downs when using Final Cut Studio 2. I'd say, get the 13 inch and an external monitor.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If it's your only computer, no desktop, you might want the 15-inch.

If you have an external display, some of that my be dismissed, but you have to weigh these.

If I was going to only have one machine, I MIGHT go with the 15, just depends what you want to do.

For portability, the 13 is better.

4. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Well the OP's original plan was to get an external monitor anyways, so the 13 inch seems like the better choice. The 9400 handles light video production very well.

5. theappleman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the swift replies.

Yes this will be my primary computer, as I am going to university; but I will most probably get an external display, and I like the 13.3 inch footprint, because its perfect for portability... the only thing worrying me is the GPU like I said, but if you can assure me it will do editing fine, then I think the 13.3 inch will be fine.