[HELP] MCE Optibay VS. Generic Optibay [Advice Please]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kennyleeme, Jun 23, 2011.

1. kennyleeme macrumors newbie

Hi all. I am not quite sure on which route to take to mount my OCZ Vertex 3 SSD with an optibay in my MBP 13 - latest model. I heard MCE Optibay is a really reliable company, costing $99 for 1 optibay. I also found generic brands here and there on Amazon/eBay for way less expensive. So can you guys chime in and give a fellow member some feedback on what factors play into purchasing an optibay. For example, is the dissipation of heat from the optibay (if it even exists) a factor to consider? Thank you all!:apple::)

2. fsfikke macrumors newbie

Haven't heard anything bad about the Nimitz optibays from eBay ($29)
    Just got mine in today and it looks very solidly build. I opened mine up and the soldering is very clean, not like some of the pictures in the Optibay-thread.

Haven't got my Vertex 3 in yet so I can't tell you how it works but it's just like an extension cable so there's not a lot of magic going there.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I bought the $10 eBay Hong Kong special for my Vertex 3 and it fits and works perfectly. I don't see any reason to spend so much from other places, considering it's literally just a connector adapter in a metal housing.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I spent $29 on the nimitz** special Mac one on ebay and it works great. This comes after not being happy with the fitment of the Maxupgrades brand unit that I paid nearly three times as much for.

5. kennyleeme thread starter macrumors newbie

i will definitely look into the Nimitz. Thank you guys!

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If you search ebay for him, make sure you put the two stars in the search field. nimitz**

7. ikm19 macrumors 6502

ikm19

I have MCE one, had purchased it when first macbook pro unibody was launched.
    I am kinda having problem with 2011 Macbook Pro 15in.
    i have 6Gbps port on Superdrive and 6Gbps port on hard drive and macbook whenever i install vertex 3 in mce adapter and connects it super drive port it doesn't work at all. but if i use 7200 rpm hard drive in mce adapter it works. I dont know whats the reason behind this but i think something has to do with mce not supporting sata 3 connection.

Here is my situation

Internal SSD + 7200 rpm Hard Drive in MCE bay. It works
    Internal SSD + Internal SSD in MCE bay it doesnt work.

I have 2 OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and trying to run as raid0.

8. scottchlee macrumors newbie

9. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

They ship worldwide. Contact the seller and he will change it for you.

But I agree, get a cheapo optibay or get an discounted OWC Data-doubler. Those MCE Optibays are pretty much Chinese optibays rebranded. Even the CD enclosure can be bought from eBay as well for as little as $4.

10. scottchlee macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why would he say he wouldn't ship to Canada or china on his eBay page if he would anyway?

11. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Just order from a Hong Kong seller - it's all the same anyway.